Need Direction

Thread: Need Direction

Unregistered Guest

Default Need Direction

I have no idea what cover school to enroll my 9 year old in. I just moved to Alabama from Wisconsin where homeschooling laws and rules are much more relaxed. I want to continue homeschooling and in my research I know I have to enroll her via cover school but there are so many and I don't know which ones are the better ones. Any advice on my next step would be appreciated. To be honest I have no idea what I am doing.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Need Direction

Hi! I'm not in Alabama, but I have some experience interpreting homeschool laws. The best place to find your state's homeschool laws is your state's Department of Education website.

You do not have to enroll in a cover school. Alabama has three "homeschool" options. One is to establish a private school in your home, which involves filling out some forms and keeping some records. The other is to establish a church school in your home, which requires less reporting to the state.

Here is a good article about homeschooling in Alabama. The first thing it says is that a cover school is not necessary.

I can understand why you are confused. Each state has its own homeschool laws, and Alabama seems to be trying to make it as confusing as possible. If you look at one requirement at a time for each option, you can see that it's pretty manageable. Some of the requirements are silly for homeschoolers, such as keeping attendance and explaining absences. Not all homeschoolers follow a typical public school schedule. Still, if you keep in mind that the rules were made for private schools, you can adapt your private school at home to them.

Good luck!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!