need guidance asap!!!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lovehmschlg

Thread: need guidance asap!!!

Unregistered Guest

Default need guidance asap!!!

hello, im moving to alabama really soon and my boyfriend and ive decided itd be best to homeschool our son for the rest of the school year. but i dont know where to start!!! im kind of in a panic bc i dont want our son to miss too much school but i know that homeschooling in the south is different from the north.....if anyone could please tell step by step what we have to do to get started that would be great and very much appreciated. please email me at [email protected] thank you

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hello.

Time4Learning is an student-paced online home-based program used for homeschooling or as a supplement to traditional education. The majority of T4L users are homeschoolers. The Time4Learning program provides memberswith a full year’s worth of curriculum that is laid out in a suggested sequencewith lessons building on each other. The program prompts your child to movefrom lesson to lesson marking them off as they are completed. Since the programis self-paced, you can decide how many lessons your child completes each day.

To answer your question regarding homeschooling in Alabama, this T4L page offers Information on Homeschooling in Alabama. I also used Google to search for Homeschool Laws in Alabama and came up with this link at the Homeschool Legal Defense Association, which is another good source of information. If you have any legal questions regarding the requirements you need to meet, I would contact them. Their contact information is on their website.

Lastly, this is a Guide to Homeschooling, which was written by some veteran homeschool moms who's kids use Time4Learning in their homeschool.

I hope that answers your questions. Best wishes to you.
    MamaToHerRoo likes this.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I homeschool in AL so let me give you my experience. We use the cover school (also called umbrella school, or church school) option. This is the easiest one that I can see. You will need to find a cover school in AL. You can find out about different cover school options by searching the internet for Cover schools in Alabama. You can find ones at are really hands on, very involved, required meetings, high fees, etc, or you can find ones that are really willing to let you do your own thing as long as you pay a fee to them to legally cover your child. I belong to one in near my home that is $55 per year, for that fee they notify the state that we are under their covering, and they do not require a statement of faith though they are technically a church school. They do not require testing of any sort, and only require that I turn in two updates a year, one in January, one in June or so. There are also cover schools at every level of involvement so just find one that works for the way you want to homeschool. For the most part homeschooling in the south might be easier than in the north because many southern states tend to stay out of homeshcoolers business. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule, but I have homeschooled in Louisiana and Alabama, and both had requirements that were really easy to meet. Wish you luck in your move and your homeschooling. Feel free to post other questions to this forum or any of the other Time4Learning forums. Someone will usually answer with a opinion pretty quick. Good luck!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!