New Alabama homeschool law- Senate Bill 38
    Jessie Knudsen is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New Alabama homeschool law- Senate Bill 38

Has anyone else read this? It seems like the language separates homeschool from private/church school, and is giving parents the freedom to school their children as they see fit. However, the only other forum I've seen talking about it seems to consider it as saying that homeschool is now being considered a form of private school, and there will be regulations. Are there any lawyers out there that can shed some light on this? The full bill can be read at http://alisondb.legislature.state.al...s/SB38-enr.pdf

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Jessie, have you contacted the Alabama Homeschool State Organization about this? I did find some information at the Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) I've included both links for your convenience. You could also call them with any questions, I suppose. I don't know anything about it, and I do not live in Alabama.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Jessie, I do live and homeschool in Alabama and I don't know anything about this. I will ask around my local homeschool support group and see what other homeschoolers think this bill means. It might take me a week or so to get their opinions. In the mean time I will also do personal research and see what I can find out. Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Thumbs up try this for help

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie Knudsen View Post
    Has anyone else read this? It seems like the language separates homeschool from private/church school, and is giving parents the freedom to school their children as they see fit. However, the only other forum I've seen talking about it seems to consider it as saying that homeschool is now being considered a form of private school, and there will be regulations. Are there any lawyers out there that can shed some light on this? The full bill can be read at http://alisondb.legislature.state.al...s/SB38-enr.pdf
    Contact HSLD (homeschool legal defense) online and they will answer your question

Unregistered Guest

Please who do I call and let know that my son is going to be homeschooled? I cannot find a number. My husband and I have been calling and emailing everyone for months.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

It has been my experience in Alabama that you will need to get a cover school (also called a church school, or umbrella school) to homeschool within the state. They will be your interface with the state and local education departments. You can do an internet search for Church Schools in Alabama, or Cover schools in Alabama to find a cover school you can work with. There are many available, over a wide range of price points. Consider starting your search on A to Z Home's Cool. I hope this helps!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Tiffany85 Guest

Default Anything new on Senate 38??

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie Knudsen View Post
    I have been looking into homeschooling as MANY issues have come up recently. I can't find anything more about this bill and can't seem to find anything on starting homeschooling. One link leads to another and another etc. Anyways, if I can get around the whole church school, private tutor, cover school thing that would be great so has anyone heard anything new on this. Apparently, Alabama allows home schooling but they don't support it. At least that's what it looks like on the BOE website with the lack of information provided. I think I found information on distance learning but it basically said "plop your kind in front of a computer for 7 hours a day". YIKES!