New to Alabama Not Homeschooling
    Heather Fairchild is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to Alabama Not Homeschooling

I've recently moved to AL from NC and I'm trying to switch my school but having trouble finding out where/how to do so... We were set up as a religious school in NC but I can't find a .gov or .edu site with definitive info on where to register our school here. Even the Dept of Education site is sketchy when it comes to homeschool. This is mind boggling to me.

Thanks for the help.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hi Heather,
    The state of Alabama does not technically have homeschooling. That doesn't mean it is not legal to homeschool in AL, it just means that you need to homeschool either through a church school (cover school) or be a certified teacher. Almost everyone I know in AL does the cover school. You can't have your own school like you can in some other states. You have to register through a cover (church/umbrella) school. Do an internet search on church schools in Alabama and you will find several lists to choose from. They range in cost from very inexpensive ($65 dollars a year or so) to as much a you want to pay.
    You will find that the prices usually reflect how much interaction you will have with the church school. For the lowest prices all you get is a letter from the church school to the state indicating your enrollment, and a letter for your records stating that you are registered.
    For higher prices you might get the basic letter to the state of enrollment, plus testing services, field trips, etc.
    As far as I can tell, in Alabama there is not much direct interaction between indivdual families and the state dept of education, that is what the church school handles. I imagine that it makes it easier for the state to deal with a couple of dozen schools instead of hundreds or thousands of homeschoolers.
    Did this help answer your questions? If not please feel free to ask again, or a different way, and I will try to be more clear
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!