New Homeschool law in Alabama?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: New Homeschool law in Alabama?

Unregistered Guest

Default New Homeschool law in Alabama?

I was on the ALSDE website and it said that a cover school is not required to homeschool in the state of Alabama. Is this true? I was always under the impression that you had to be under some sort of cover school if you did not do the private tutor option. Is anyone else aware of this? Any information would be helpful. I would very much like to get confirmation of this one way or the other. It is listed in the Q & A section of non public schools. This is the state department of education website. Thanks.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Homeschool law in Alabama?

Hi. In Alabama, you can establish your homeschool as a private school:

"A parent may establish a private school in the home."

Look at Option Two at the bottom of this page, "Homeschooling With a Private School". You basically only need to report attendance, but do read and understand those laws yourself.

You need to obtain proof of immunization, but the laws does not say you have to report that to the school district.

The only subject they require is P.E., and it needs to be "similar" to a public school P.S. program.

For "comply with any policies established by the private school" . . . YOU are the private school, so you establish these policies.
    katwell7 likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!