new to homeschooling
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DrGmama

Thread: new to homeschooling

proudofmyson Guest

Cool new to homeschooling

tomorrow will be our first day homeschooling and im afraid I don't know what I am doing. but my son triston (who has autism) and I will be learning together. he is in 10th grade, so any help will be appreciated. im excited for him because the mainstream schools are not equipped to handle his awesomeness. cant wait to start.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

We are so glad to have you! All new homeschoolers feel a little overwhelmed, it is completely natural You have probably already been doing more homeschooling than you think. Just remember to give both you and your son some "decompression" time while you both figure out homeschooling. I hope you find it to be a lot less stressful than having to deal with the school. Feel free to ask any questions you might have, and again, welcome!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Marlina Guest

Smile New

I am also new to this. I am going to start homeschooling my 11 yr old (autism) 6 and 5 year old this year... We will be all learning this together <3

Unregistered Guest

Default D

Quote Originally Posted by proudofmyson View Post
    tomorrow will be our first day homeschooling and im afraid i don't know what i am doing. But my son triston (who has autism) and i will be learning together. He is in 10th grade, so any help will be appreciated. Im excited for him because the mainstream schools are not equipped to handle his awesomeness. Cant wait to start.
    do you know if math,science,language, and history are all state approved curriculum on time for learning? My daughter is going into the tenth grade but im having trouble finding out if this is state approved/accredited. Thanks!!!

Hi! Time4Learning is not accredited because it is not a school, it is a curriculum. In Alabama you will probably need to partner with a "church school" also know as a cover school, or umbrella school. There is another option in Alabama, but it is the private tutor option and I don't know of anyone within my homeschool circle that uses that option. Your cover school may determine if they will approve T4L but most do not have to approve your curriculum. Check with your cover school.
    Linda

DrGmama Guest

Quote Originally Posted by proudofmyson View Post
    tomorrow will be our first day homeschooling and im afraid I don't know what I am doing. but my son triston (who has autism) and I will be learning together. he is in 10th grade, so any help will be appreciated. im excited for him because the mainstream schools are not equipped to handle his awesomeness. cant wait to start.
    I think it was a great decision to teach him at home. I have been homeschooling for about 4 years. It would be good to google other homeschool groups to see if he can participate in some of their field trips and other activities. Another way to involve other children is possible church activities. Since he is in the 10th grade, you all can start looking at careers and/or job possibilities for when he graduates to help him gain confidence in making his own living one day. It is a lot of fun...good luck.
    lovehmschlg likes this.

Hi DrGmama and Proudofmyson, I just wanted to mention that there is now a forum for high school students to meet other T4L high school students called Time4Friends, and they can access it from the log in page of high school. Another set of great forums for high school students is at Let's Homeschool High School. Hope this helps your teens meet other high schoolers in a safe and controlled manner.
    Linda