thinking about home schooling
    Unregistered Guest

Default thinking about home schooling

Hi
    We just moved to Al around the Birmingham area. My daughter is having a hard time in 1st grade, and we are thinking about home schooling. I would like to know how other moms are doing with home school and if you think its better then public school ??

Thank you

Unregistered Guest

Default Considering homeschooling due to a particular issue

I have had a few issues with the schools in particular and their leniency on bullying. I have actually had to visit with the district attorney in our area due to this to see what could be done. Legally, there isn't much in the state of Alabama. Due to a more recent incident involving my daughter and the compound issues over time, I have been entertaining the notion of homeschooling both children because simply---the school cannot be trusted at all with the safety of my children.

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting this process started?

LisaHurst Guest

Default Homeschooling in Birmingham, AL

Good Morning!
    Unfortunately, public schools in B'ham aren't the greatest, especially in low income areas. I am an educator and I waived the classroom (which I love) to be a homeschooling parent. Our children (now 7 and 12) were well ahead of their classmates and the curriculum, presented. Alabama has some great standards, however, these standards are not taught (many reasons: catching students up, time, students being prepared, etc...). Children are sponges and soak up everything that you present to them. Unfortunately, we sometimes do not give them the information. This is in my experience. Having been a private tutor for over 20 years, along with teaching, I have never found a child who could not learn or who did not want to learn. What I have learned is that it is the educator that must mold themselves to fit the child's needs, in may ways. It was I who had to think and rethink a solution to fit my students and clients. Perhaps this is just too much work for some.
    Well, that's my soapbox. I'll step down now. You were asking about HS. YES! Do it! You and your family will love it. Suggestion: While HS is outside of general public and private schooling, not requiring standards, I would suggest that you review state and national standards to make sure that topics are covered. Many HS students/parents discover that once/if public school/college IS entered, there are entrance exams. Entrance exams are still standard bound. Just a thought.

Unregistered Guest

I'd definitely do homeschooling. I'm a high school teacher and gave up the classroom to teach my two children. Though going from high school to elementary has been a challenge; the one thing that wasn't a challenge was the decision to not put them in public school. Having taught in both public and private schools I can say that homeschooling is far better.

Annsmth Guest

Default Homeschool

I'm thinking about homeschool.I stay in a small town and the school my son goes to I feel isn't a good one.The students and some of the teachers are very rude and mean natured.I just want him out of there.My question is do you have to pay for homeschooling

Unregistered Guest

Default Birmingham/Pinson Area

My granddaughter who is also in first grade was having a very difficult time in the school here. So far home schooling has been good. She gets the one on one help she needs. She is also a visual learner so does much better on the computer than in the classroom.

We are new to home schooling this year but actually was pretty easy to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi
    We just moved to Al around the Birmingham area. My daughter is having a hard time in 1st grade, and we are thinking about home schooling. I would like to know how other moms are doing with home school and if you think its better then public school ??

Thank you