Welcome to the Alabama Forum!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Welcome to the Alabama Forum!

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default Welcome to the Alabama Forum!

Welcome to the Alabama Forum!

Time4Learning is happy to provide a forum for homeschoolers in individualstates to connect with one another. Please use this forum to find members nearyou, ask each other state-related questions, and post information about localhomeschool events.

mommyday81 Guest

Smile New in Alabama =)

Hi!! We are new this year. My son is in 7th grade and we are in the Birmingham metro area. Anyone near us?

Hello We are new to Alabama and Homeschooling. We are in Huntsville.

takestime2educate is offline Junior Member

Smile New 2 Homeschooling from Alabama

Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself. I am brand new to homeschooling. I have 2 daughters and am married. We live in the Baldwin County area. I made the decision to HS when my daughters started falling behind in public school. They have always been honor students so I knew there was an underlying problem. My youngest daughter,11, was being bullied physically and mentally tormented. My oldest daughter,15, was suffering from the same for defending her sister and I was afraid for her at school because of the "modern day" activities that go on day to day. She was not receiving the help she needed all they seem to be obsessed with was attendance. And while I think attendance is important, the well being of my children far more outweighs anything else. So after some research and sleepless nights I decided to HS them. We struggled with the choice of curriculum and after coming across T4L we decided to give it a go. Tomorrow will be our "1st day of school" and my children and I are very excited to get started.&nbsp;<span style="font-family:comic sans ms;"><span style="color:#800080;"></span></span>

So how has it gone. Our first day will be tomorrow for my son who is 17 years old. My son was struggling in school as well and became so frustrated he began to cause trouble at school. I am so worried about the cirriculum and how to homeschool. I just wanted to know how others first day went.

By the way, we are in St Clair county, north of birmingham.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I just want to welcome you new homeschoolers. I'm probably considered a veteran homeschooler now, we are about to hit our 8 year mark! I don't remember our actual first day of homeschool, but I do remember the overall relief I felt when I pulled my daughter from public school. Finally she would be able to learn in a way that was best for her. Stay flexible, if it works--keep it, if it doesn't work--change it, if your aren't sure if it is working--hang in a little longer and trust your instincts! There are going to be great days, not so great days, and days when you threaten to send them back to public school (ok, you might not have days like that, but I know I do sometimes!) Happy homeschooling!
    Abigail and ShawnaLynn like this.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

takestime2educate is offline Junior Member

So far so good...We have been using T4L for almost a month and my kids love it. My youngest (11) misses the day to day interaction with other kids but I have explained to her that we will find other avenues for her to spend time with other kiddos. Since she was having a time with bullying in public school it is a nice change of pace not to have her so emotionally distraught everyday. It is taking time and I'm sure it will take a while to fully recover and for her to learn that she doesn't have to be so defensive to everyone because not everyone is trying to be mean. But for the most part they love having the extra family time. And you learn that everything can be a learning experience. They are learning more life skills as well from helping me with their extra time at home and they love it....We still have our days where she threatens to just want to go back to school when she gets frustrated but we just take time to "cool off" and everything is fine. My 10th grader is loving every minute of it. She works almost totally independently. The T4L program is so interactive and fun that its almost like doing no schoolwork at all. And since the work is auto graded you know immediately if there is a problem somewhere. The key is for you to be super organized. I keep up with attendance and work daily so that when it comes time to turn in their portfolio it will be ready. I am still unsure as to how many days Alabama requires for attendance in homeschool, but until I am sure we are just closely following the public school's calendar. Best of luck to you and let us know how it is going!!

Abigail is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi I am in Greenville AL. Just south of Montgomery. We just started Monday. So far I am liking it pretty good.

Abigail is offline Junior Member Newbie

HI! My daughter and I just started Monday and she is loving it so far. We are in Greenville, AL

Unregistered Guest

Default New to T4L

Hey! We will be starting T4L in September with a 6th grader and a 1st grader. We live in Troy, AL. It's our first year using mostly an online program. I hope that everyone has a great year!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast