Extracurricular activities in Arizona
    Unregistered Guest

Question Extracurricular activities in Arizona

I'm going to be homeschooling my daughter from kindergarden onward. However, I will be working full time, so she will need some place to go while I'm at work. I would love to send her somewhere they have music and art instruction (field trips would be a plus!). Does anyone happen to know of any such places in Arizona (Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa, Tempe, or surrounding area)?

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi. I'm sorry you haven't gotten an answer to your question. It may be hard for you to find a place to drop off your daughter other than a school. There are co-ops that homeschoolers participate in, but they are co-operatives, which means that the parents take turns or all volunteer to teach a class to the group of homeschoolers. If you are homeschooling, you would need to be with your child at any event or class you take your child to, especially if your child is little (5yo). I know that in our community there are homeschool classes, such as drama, PE, science for kids, but it's only one time a week for a couple of hours or so. And the kids that do get dropped off are teenagers.
    Would a relative be homeschooling your daughter while you're at work that she/he would be able to stay with your daughter? Because if that's the case, you may be able to contact a local homeschool support group and find out if there are such classes or co-ops that your daughter and relative can attend.
    Sorry to not be of much help.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

Unregistered Guest

Default Did you find anything for your daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm going to be homeschooling my daughter from kindergarden onward. However, I will be working full time, so she will need some place to go while I'm at work. I would love to send her somewhere they have music and art instruction (field trips would be a plus!). Does anyone happen to know of any such places in Arizona (Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa, Tempe, or surrounding area)?
    I know this comes years late but I wanted to know if you had found a drop off option for your daughter. I am on the same situation with my almost 6 yr old and was thinking about creating a small group and hiring a tutor lead drop off co-op, but most homeschoolers are of the opinion that homeschooling means doing all the teaching yourself, or focusing on sports, theater or dance...

Unregistered Guest

Default AZ Legal Definition of Homeschooler

You may this situation difficult because when we complete our Affidavit for homeschooling, we agreeing to the legal definition of homeschooling.

ARS §15-802 G 2. Homeschool means a nonpublic school conducted primarily by the parent, guardian or other person who has custody of the child or nonpublic instruction provided in the child's home.

Homeschoolers are parents or legal guardians who choose to educate their own children at home in at least the required subjects of reading, grammar, math, science, and social studies pursuant to A.R.S. §15-802.

Extracurricular activities are fine but if the core subjects are not being taught by a parent or legal guardian, then it becomes a (potentially) big issue.