Help with Child returning to High School
    unregistered Guest

Default Help with Child returning to High School

Just wondering if anyone here can help me with this question. If/when a child returns to public schooling, is the school required to accept any of the home school credits? I am mostly talking credits for electives? Is it on a district by district basis? We have a local high school willing to do that (but son does not want to attend there) and an Az online charter school not willing to do that.

Any thoughts? Thank you. Dawn

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Help with Child returning to High School

Until high school, most public schools will simply enroll a previously homeschooled student at the grade level that corresponds to their age. Public high schools will enroll a previously homeschooled student, but they do not have to accept non-public-school work for credit.

Most states leave it up to the school itself, although a handful address returning to public school. I don't see that Arizona addresses it, although I just skimmed their homeschool laws. Schools have a lot of leeway in what they can accept, and they often make accommodations for students, such as granting credit for part time jobs. And they usually accept most credits from private schools without question. There seems to be more reluctance to accept homeschool credits, probably because they realize they are simply taking the parent's word for it that the student did the work and performed adequately.

It often depends on the opinion of the individual you are speaking with at the school. Some schools do have in place methods for your child to "prove" their homeschool credits (tests).

The short answer to your question is that it is entirely up to the school your child wants to attend. All fifty states allow a parent to issue a homeschool diploma for their own child based on what the parent has decided the student needs to do to graduate. Employers are required to treat a homeschool diploma the same as any other diploma. Colleges are more interested in a student's entrance exam scores than in where they learned what they know. Many colleges actively recruit homeschooled students. Despite all this, it can be challenging to return to public high school after homeschooling, so I usually recommend that parents not begin homeschooling high school unless they are sure they want to homeschool all the way through.

The best place to learn about homeschooling high school is Let's Homeschool High School.com .

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: Help with Child returning to High School

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    All fifty states allow a parent to issue a homeschool diploma for their own child based on what the parent has decided the student needs to do to graduate. Employers are required to treat a homeschool diploma the same as any other diploma. Colleges are more interested in a student's entrance exam scores than in where they learned what they know. Many colleges actively recruit homeschooled students. Despite all this, it can be challenging to return to public high school after homeschooling, so I usually recommend that parents not begin homeschooling high school unless they are sure they want to homeschool all the way through.
    Let's just say there were some unexpected challenges. I am glad you gave this info because it was my next question. He cannot graduate "on track"/this next school year given they won't accept his credits but this thought occurred to me today. Why can't I grant him a diploma (give him credit for the work he has done)? His official high school transcript would look like, 1 year in one district, 1.5 year online charter school, 1.5 year home school. And 2.5 years concurrent college classes with the rest. I just did not know how I could do the diploma thing.

Any links or suggestions for that? I just literally type up semester by semester grades, "credits", attendance? Thanks.