art

Thread: art

Unregistered Guest

Default art

Hi!
    My son is in 5th grade and recently came home from a 9 month stay at a boys and girls ranch. When he came back to public school, the problems started all over again with his behavior. He has Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD) and cannot function in a regular classroom. He is in the court system and the judge is allowing us to homeschool on a "trial basis." I think that t4l would be great for everyone involved. Especially since I would be able to print off progress reports for the judge to see. Right now, I'm just sort of doing my own thing with him, and it's not working out too well.

Just wondered if anyone else might be in the same position.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hello and welcome!
    I'm sorry that you are having to deal with ODD. I don't have any ODD specific suggestions for homeschooling but perhaps someone here does.
    I know that you are doing homeschooling on a trial basis and so need to produce results quickly, but just know that many people find that their children need a transitional period between the previous type of schooling and homeschooling. The kids seem to need to decompress or something. It is a period of adaptation that might take from days to months depending on the child, his ability to deal with change, and the situations left behind.

I hope that T4L and homeschool work for you and your son. Let me suggest a few links for things that might help you. These are all internal to T4L so you can feel safe to click on the links
    First, the Welcome to Homeschooling Guide and the Getting Started Guide can offer some great hints on homeschooling.
    Then, since I don't have specific ODD homeschooling suggestions maybe someone over on the Special Needs forum has condition specific suggestions for making homeschooling work for your son.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!