Completion of 2nd grade-Thinking of homeschooling
    Unregistered Guest

Default Completion of 2nd grade-Thinking of homeschooling

Hello,

I had a quick question. We are thinking of pulling my daughter from her current school to homeschool her for the remaining of her 2nd grade. Her classroom (and most of the school) seems to be having way too many disciplinary issues. It seems to be so bad that more attention seems to be given on disciplinary actions rather than teaching/learning.

We have applied for a local charter school here for next year, but it's reached the level of "bad enough" for my husband and I that we don't want to finish up the school year at the current school.

Anyhow, my question is.....if we were to start this curriculum and finish the 2nd grade, is it going to be hard to start 3rd grade off at the charter school? That is if she gets in of course (acceptance is done through lottery). If she doesn't get accepted, then our plans were to just continue homeschooling her, but I'd prefer for her to go to the charter school.

Does this make sense? She learns quickly and loves school, until we started at her current school, it seems.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Hello and welcome!
    I don't see why it would be hard for your daughter to step right into the 3rd grade charter school next year. Time4Learning is standards based and actually provides more information for the students to learn than most public schools ever get to in a year. You will also find that she probably can complete the entire 2nd grade curriculum between now and the start of the 2013-2014 school year. Remember that she will have one-on-one attention from her teacher (you/your husband) and will avoid the distractions of the disciplinary issues going on in the classroom. She will also not have the time taken from the day to line up, go to lunch, and the million other things that eat into educational time in a traditional school setting, so the school day will not need to be as long.

One thing that many homeschoolers notice when they begin homeschooling is that their children remember that they love learning. That is such a positive thing! You will probably love seeing her learn too. Some parents ask how they will know if their child is learning...once you see her learning and loving it, you will know it. That might be one of my favorite things about homeschooling, seeing my daughter hungry for knowledge, and the ahh! moment when she understands a new concept.

I am curious as to why you would prefer the charter school to homeschooling, would love to hear your reasons!

Let us know how things go!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!