Emergency
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaToHerRoo

Thread: Emergency

Unregistered Guest

Default Emergency

I went to the central office here in Sharp County, Highland school district and filed the papers to homeschool. I asked if I needed to go pull the kids out of school or if we were all set. I also asked if we were to go home and begin homeschooling. I was told that everything was all set - go home and start homeschooling and we would receive instructions later in the year about testing.

NOW - the high school is filing truancy against us, saying that we did not wait the 14 days, did not speak to the principal first, and did not move. therefore, my kids are truant.

This will remove our right to ever homeschool again, result in fines, etc.... CAN they really do this?

As of tuesday, the kids will have missed 10 days of school. If I put the kids into school for monday - wed would that stop their truancy suit?

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Wow, I'm not sure I can even begin to answer your issues. Sometimes truancy is filed because one set of paperwork doesn't get caught up with another set of paperwork. I'm not even sure that you can get HSLDA's help with this since you are already in the middle of this case. Do you have the name of the person who told you to begin homeschooling? Perhaps you could file an appeal of some sort. If you went and talked to the principal perhaps you could get things straightened out. I'm so sorry you are having troube with this.

Perhaps someone with more experience homeschooling in Arkansas could chime in here. The other thing to do is check with your local homeschooling group and see if they have experience with something like this that they could give you advice that would help.

This is an example of why, as homeschoolers, we must follow the letter of the law. The intent of the law is to make us accountable, and it won't matter if someone (like the central office in this case) tells us something, if we fail to follow the letter of the law, they are just as likely to tell us that ignorance of the law is no excuse and hold us accountable to the law anyway. I am so sorry this is happening to you. Keep us posted as to how things go.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Unregistered Guest

Cool Where do you live?

I live in Cherokee and just pulled my son, who's in 5th grade out of highland in Sept. GO talk to Tracy at the central office and if the court is involved, talk to Tonya at Children and Youth Services, (she's in the juvenile probation office). Is he in any type of counseling? If he is, you may be able to get his counselor to help you.
    My son, has had trouble with highland school district since kindergarden. We finally decided to homescool this year, Judge King granted us our wish at first on a trial basis, but now has told us we may continue through the school year. We didn't have to wait the 2 weeks waiting period.

Not sure this helps, but even if it doesn't I would love to meet up with you sometime. I've been looking for other homeschoolers in Sharp County!!

Lynn

Lynn,
    Thank you so much for your reply to this thread. Your words are very calm and reassuring. How is school going for your son?
    I hope everything is going well for your family.
    Thanks again!
    Linda

Robin is offline Senior Member

Many times districts will try to require things that are not required by law. It's important for us to know what the law is so that they can't make us jump through additional hoops. I had an issue with my district this year. They were requiring much more than they were allowed. My advice would be to read the law and determine if their threats hold water. You can also contact or join the Homeschool Legal Defense. They can contact the district for you in case they are overstepping their bounds.

(I know this is late...)

Unregistered Guest

Default update on school/judge

School is going a lot better now that we are in a routine. The judge approved us to continue homeschooling until the end of the year!! That's a huge weight off my shoulders. He would like to see him put back in public school for 6th grade. I intend to fight it. If my son can function in scouts and other group settings without me or my husband there, then we might consider it, but otherwise we are going to fight it. But, don't have to fight that battle until next May.

What a relief to know that you have the rest of the school year to homeschool! If your son does well and stays out of trouble how can the judge order him back to school? Homeschooling is a legal option still ( at least for now!)
    You actually have the summer also, so you can get a lot accomplished. I'm so glad you got that good news!
    Keep us updated, and please don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have. Happy Homeschooling!
    Robin likes this.
    Linda

MandyR Guest

Sorry my reply has nothing to do with the legal issues, but I am also looking for fellow homeschoolers in the Highland/Cherokee Village area. Ive searched for a group around here I have come up with none. I would like to get a group together for support & have our kids to socialize at get togethers, seasonal parties, trips and so on. If ANYONE in this area would like the same please reply. My daughter will be starting 5th grade.