Field Trips: State Parks in Arkansas
    MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Default Field Trips: State Parks in Arkansas

Field Trips!
    Arkansas has a richness in state parks that not every state can boast. The state park system makes it easy to create educational and fun field trips, by providing flyers on many of the parks and other information important to teachers (that's you!) Arkansas State Parks is a great place to state your adventures.

I'm going to ask if you would please, please, please post something here regarding state park field trips you have been on, or would like to go on. I will periodically add an informational post or a review of a state park, but I would love to hear from others here. Perhaps a park is near you that you visit regularly, anything would be greatly appreciated. Let's get some buzz going here!!

Linda
    Rep, Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!!

P.S. Stay tuned later today for a description of the Crater of Diamonds state park.

Crater of Diamonds State Park
    Just south of Murfreesboro, Arkansas, it is the only diamond mining area where the public can search for diamonds, and keep any thing they find.

The site is an open field mine where visitors use a variety of impliments, shovels, buckets, picks, to turn the earth and collect stones. With any luck one or more of those stones will be a diamond or a semi precious stone.

It is exciting to think that you might be the person who finds the next big diamond. While it is not likely, it is possible. The dirt of the field is turned over on a regular basis, so even if you didn't find anything the first time you go, you might find something the second time, or third.

You can rent the screener, and tools, or you can bring your own, There is a place to buy a snack, and a gift shop where you can pick up a rock or two, but no diamonds. Educational information is available ahead of time in the form of a pdf from the state park site.

You don't have to spend all day there, and be advised that the field is not shaded at all.
    It sure is a whole lot of fun, expecially for those children who are interested in rocks, and volcanos (the diamonds there were formed in a volcano, long ago). Even for those kids who dont really like rocks, there are other nature related activies.

Enjoy! and Please feel free to add any state park of your choosing to this list and information. State parks are a great place to take a field trip. Share your experiences!!!

Linda
    Rep, Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

Default American Library Association Great Sites for Kids

Ok, I know that everyone can use a little help finding additional resources, and that everyone is on a budget. I had this website forwarded to me and I thought it was a place to find some of those resources. While I cannot guarantee that everything on this site is going to be totally acceptable for everyone, I can say that it carries the name of the American Library Association and the Association for Library Service to Children.
    American Library Association Great Web Sites for Kids

Linda
    Rep, Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!

JohnEdelson - 09-19-2010, 09:57 AM - permalink
    BTW, SpellingCity.com which is sponsored by Time4Learning.com won an American Library Association Great Websites for Kids. If you don't know about it, you should. SpellingCity has a page on Arkansas State Words. LearningGamesforKids.com also has a page of learning games about Arkansas.

Thank you, thank you, John. I appreciate the information.

SpellingCity.com is a lot of fun, sometimes it doesn't even feel like learning. You all may not have realized it yet, but I think learning through games is an awesome idea. The kids are having fun, AND learning something, and they don't even realize it until later. For my daughter, at least, retetion of information learned in games seems to be higher. Your results may vary!

Linda
    Rep, Moderator, and...
    Homeschooler of one!