Homeschoolin School?
    datkins1985 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Homeschoolin School?

I work full time and have a 6 year old. We have thought about homeschooling but at this time we are unable to since I'm currently working. Has anyone ever heard of a homeschooling school? At one time we had a place where kids who were homeschool attended a few days a week I wasn't associated with anyone who went there I just head about it. I am looking into starting my own daycare and thought this may be an option I could add to it for parents who want to homeschool but can't due to work. Does anyone have any insights to this or if its even allowed?

Robin is offline Senior Member

Hi! Welcome to Time4Learning. Are you thinking of homeschooling someone else's child? As a business? It may depend on your state's laws. I've homeschooled children that weren't mine, but not a part of a business. One was a neighbor and one was a family friend. It worked okay, but there's a lot that you have to think about when educating someone else's children.

I have run a daycare while homeschooling. I did it for many years and it had its ups and downs. I definitely didn't feel I was giving my children as much time as I would have liked during that time and we had to homeschool odd hours, but with Time4Learning, it's possible to do lessons at any time.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The Arkansas homeschool statutes define "homeschool" as "a school provided by a parent or legal guardian for his or her own child." Most states do not allow anyone but the parent to homeschool their child, but "homeschooling" your child means "directing the student's education", and that might mean deciding to use a tutor or a community class as part of your child's education.

Casual agreements between friends or relatives to teach each others' children usually work fine, but the parent is still the one "in charge" and needs to fill out any notification forms or reports for the state. I think you would have problems, legally, formally offering to "homeschool" other people's children. You might consider offering to tutor homeschooled children in areas they need help.

This is just advice from an experienced homeschool mom, with no legal background at all.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Mherron00 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello, I am new and wanting to start a homeschool/charter school.....Something other than public school and more affordable than our private schools. Myself and a teacher are so dissatisfied with the school system and how teacher can't be teachers and districts are so focused on state testing for money. We want to give our kids and other kids an opportunity to learn more and not be required to go through the red tape. I am trying to research laws for MS but can't find any real guidance on homeschooling other kids. I know we have 2 homeschooling sites around the area but one I have heard is more like a daycare. If anyone can possibly help point me in the right direction of where I can look I would appreciate it. I am new to this site as well and just now trying to figure it out. Thank you in advance!
    Melissa

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Mherron. You probably aren't finding information about homeschooling other people's children because most states' homeschool laws are based on a parent's right to direct the education of their OWN children. However, "directing your child's education" might mean deciding to use a tutor or a community class as part of your child's education.

Casual agreements between friends or relatives to teach each others' children usually work fine, but the parent is still the one "in charge" and needs to fill out any notification forms or reports for the state. I think you would have problems, legally, formally offering to "homeschool" other people's children. You might consider offering to tutor homeschooled children in areas they need help.

This is just advice from an experienced homeschool mom, with no legal background at all.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!