I am not allowed to homeschool my children
    kidsaresmart is offline Junior Member Newbie

Angry I am not allowed to homeschool my children

A judge in Morrilton Arkansas ordered me to put my kids back in public school today!! He said since he didn't think my books met with the standards of arkansas and since I got free worksheets off the internet instead of paying for them that he didn't believe my children were being educated. He is basically calling me and my children liars. Does anyone know of an attorney that can help. I tried to join the Hslda but they sent my money back and wrote me a letter saying I couldn't join because I had a pending legal problem. I like to have never found an attoney who would even attack a homeschool case. I feel like I have the right to homeschool my kids but since I moved to Arkansas they seem to have taken over my children.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry you are having this problem. Even if you cannot join HSLDA are they willing to give you advice, or point you toward a lawyer? Check with your local homeschooling group, maybe someone there has a lawyer who would handle it for you. Try this site Homeschooling is Legal. While HSLDA is listed there, near the bottom are other choices for legal help or advise. Good luck and keep us posted!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

dmcmomwife Guest

Unhappy not allowed to homeschool

oh my word. you'd think with the ranking of arkansas schools in the nation, there wouldn't be an ISSUE with the level of "standards" here. i'll be praying for you. where in AR are you?

Joyfulhiker4 Guest

Wow, I am appalled and a little frightened to say the least. I have homeschooled in Arkansas for one year before we moved to Alabama and homeschooled for 2 years. We are currently back in Arkansas. We put our children in public school from Nov.2010 - May 2011 and will be homeschooling again this fall. I always fear coming up against something like this, especially now that we are in a small town and everyone knows us and feels that they know what's best for our family. I do hope that you find a great lawyer. Please keep us posted on your case.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Joyful,
    I, too, find it frightening. I'm not even sure how the judge can make that decision unless there are other signs or something. Homeschooling is legal, and as long as you are obeying the rules and don't raise the flag on some other area of your personal life, or the way the childen are treated, there shouldn't be a problem. I don't know the specifics of this case, and I'm certainly not a lawyer. Makes you want to pay HSLDA before you have a problem just so they will be there if you do. I don't currently belong to HSLDA, but this story is enough to make me consider it. Fortunately, most homeschoolers have smooth sailing as long as they follow the regulations set up by their department of education.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

CourtneyLWilliams is offline Junior Member

I LIVE IN MORRILTON!!!!! Who told you that you couldn't homeschool here?? Maybe we can work together to get this issue resolved. They cannot LEGALLY tell you that you have to put your kids in school. The law here says YOU choose what you use. They can't stop you from homeschooling because of what you use to homeschool. Drop me a line to my email. [email protected]