New Teacher to 2. Son w/ Aspergers. Brand new baby. ahhhhh!!

Default New Teacher to 2. Son w/ Aspergers. Brand new baby. ahhhhh!!

We just recently started our homeschool journey. So far... its amazing. We had debated for 2 years whether or not to go ahead, and now we finally have!! I'm looking for a homeschool group in the Prairie Grove/ Fayetteville AR area. Any suggestions?

Also, I would love to talk to any parents that are also homeschooling children with similar social/ behavior problems. My son has Aspergers.

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Welcome to Time4Learning and homeschooling! I hope you will love both T4L and homeschooling as much as I do.

I can't help you with a specific group, but would suggest that you do an internet search for homeschool support groups in your area. Surely there is one near you!

I would point you toward the Special Education/Special Needs forum. While every family is unique and each will have their own needs, you might find suggestions, comments, or solutions to try to make your homeschooling experience more productive and fulfilling.

There is some information at Autism Education Online, part of the Time4Learning site, that might have information helpful to you.

I hope you continue in your homeschooling journey, and know that we are here...if you want to share a triumph, or tell us about something you are banging your head against the wall about, or you just need a friendly shoulder to encourage you...we would love to hear about it.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!

Isomimommy Guest

Default In Bella Vista

Hi! I have several friends that are a part of NWACHEA and love it if you are still looking for a HS group in NW Arkansas. Also, I am thinking about helping my friend homeschool her daughter next year who has ASD--would love to connect sometime and chat with you about some of the uniqueness of teaching kids with those sort of concerns. Good luck!

Isomimommy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello! We are also new to Homeschooling. My daughter is in K/1. We live in Bella Vista. There are so many AWESOME resources in NW Arkansas for Homeschooling Moms. Next semester, we plan to join NWACHEA of Rogers, but I think there is also a Fayetteville group. Crystal Bridges and the Bentonville library also have programs for homeschoolers. And we found Operation Recreation www.operationrecreation.com--a really neat PE-type class for Homeschoolers at only $25 a month. My kids BOTH love it! They have a class in Springdale on Wed, I think.

Also, my friend's daughter has ASD and has been struggling so much in public school this year, I may be helping them homeschool her next year. I would love to connect with you and discuss some of the challenges associated with teaching ASD kids.

Best of luck with you HS adventures!

Thanks for jumping in there and helping with suggestions for others. That is exactly how the forums are supposed to work!!I hate to hear that anyone is struggling in public school. While I don't say that homeschool is for everyone, there are families who could really benefit from homeschooling. Perhaps your friend's family is one of those families. It is wonderful that you are preparing to help her. ASD is a heart defect, right? I'm not sure what type of challenges you would face in teaching her, but being at home where she could work at her own pace, not worry about catching every snotty nose that came down the line, and not have to expend extra energy in the whole process of going to public school (the getting up early, getting dressed, travelling, lines, recess, lunch, jostling about with other children, getting home,homework, etc) would allow her to use the energy she had to learn.I wish you all luck, and hope you will keep us updated about your kids' progress and how your friends daughter does with homeschooling!

Unregistered Guest

Default Thinking Of homeschool Central Arkansas

Hello i really need some help...I am not happy with our local schools and our son has ADHD and RAD he is on grade level but socially and behavior wise we need something different. How many hours a day is good for study with homeschooling or ..How do you set up lessons for the day. He is first grade 6 years old.
    Any doily sugestions and what all is included with Time4learning monthly membership? is it everything you need to homeschool your child or are there extra things ..fees..ect. that will come up? Thanks Lana F

Welcome!
    I understand how ADHD can affect a 1st grader, my child is ADHD and I pulled her from public school in the middle of her 1st grade year. We started with homeschooling and Time4Learning and are now beginning our 6th year. I can't imagine any other way of educating my ADHD daughter!

Time4Learning is web based, and for the monthly fee you will recieve unlimited access to the curriculum. Your child will have access to the grade level you sign him up for, 1 grade lower, and one grade higher so that if there is something he is faster in he can move ahead, or something he needs more work on you can drop back and let him review.

Time4Art is an add on to th program, and is free for the 1st six months, however, it requires a 4th grade reading level to be able to adequately use the art program, and so is not generally offered to kids below that level.

Other than that there are no hidden fees, or surprises. You pay your monthly fee, and have access to grade level, one below, and one above.

As for how many hours a day...well, there are some general guidelines about number of hours per grade level on the internet. You can look those up if you like.

The way we determine how much school is not by hours because my daughter can get distracted and waste time with the best of them! What we do is determine a number of lessons and activities (quizzes, chapter tests) based on the number of lessons in the lesson plan (each subject and grade has a certain number of lessons). We add those up for the total numbe of lessons in the grade, then divide that by the number of school days in your school year (for us it is 180 days). This gives you a ball park figure as to how many lessons your child will need to complete to finish in the school year.

I hope this help in general. If you have other questions, or need clarification please feel free to ask. Remember that each family tends to fall into their own rhythm as to what works for them. One of the beauties of homeschooling is the flexibility!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!