Placement question....
    Unregistered Guest

Default Placement question....

Good Morning!
    I hope all are having a Blessed weekend! We are considering adding A Time for Learning to our :school line up. My question for y'all is this: My soon to be 9 yo son is living with AS (Asperger's Syndrom) He is very gifted academically but his weakness in physically being able to write things is really hard on him.... so I thought this may be a good fit? If I assign him age appropriate (3rd) and even the 4th isn't challenging him... then what? My daughter is just wanting to try what my son does... 6th grade.... she will get tired and either go back to her studies or add this to what she already does. Thank you in advance!
    Mom

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Mom,
    I understand what you mean about the writing part tires your son out.

Time4Learning is great for students who don't write, or write well. Because everything is on the computer they don't get held back for a weakness in the writing skill set. This seems to be very liberating for students who dislike/can't write. It seems to free their brain to actually learn instead of struggle with the mechanics.

That being said, I want to remind you that your son has 3 grade levels available to him, the grade he is signed up for, one above and one below.

I would recommend that you start him where he should be. If it seems to easy let hime zip through until it gets harder. There may be concepts that need more work, so maybe don't let him skip a grade, just let him move quickly, touching all the concepts of that grade. If he hits a snag then slow down.

Everyone does it differently, but especially for math, I wouldn't let him jump a grade since math, ultimately, requires the foundations set early to do more complex stuff later. I guess the same can be said for language arts, as well.

After saying that I have to admit that when I pulled my daughter out of public school in the middle of 1st grade, I moved her directly into 2nd grade work on Time4Learning. For several years we were between 1/2 and 3/4 of a year ahead. We hit a snag in math in 5th grade, and reluctant writing and she had to slow down a bit, making her about on grade level.

Each kid is different you might just have to let him experiment to find his perfect spot. I hope that helps! Feel free to ask any questions you might have.
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!