Trying to see through my childs eyes as she suffers with dyslexia!
    Viridiana's Mom Guest

Smile Trying to see through my childs eyes as she suffers with dyslexia!

Hello my name is Racheal and I am new to homeschooling my 7 year old who suffers health problems and she also suffers with learning disabilities such as dyslexia. She did attend public school in preschool, kindergarten, and attended first grade from aug.2012 until last of jan 2013 she started have lots of behavior problems and school didn't wanna work with me to place her in resource classes nor did they wanna start a 504 plan. when the doctor and psychologist put in place an IEP the school said because of her grades they could not do anything because she has all A. I don't understand to this day how she had straight A because she cant even count to 100 with out forgetting. They said she was gonna have to repeat the first grade until she could grasp the things going on in there so that's when I decided that it was time for me to move forward if she was gonna get a proper education I was gonna have to do it myself.
    Since I have been homeschooling her she is moving along as normal as she can.
    I also have a 4 year old son and he attends a public preschool when he is at school thats when we are doing our homeschooling and when he comes home he is ready to do more work as far as reading and writing and he does great for 4 years old.
    I want to say thanks for taking your time to read my story and I really look forward to reading your responses and I hope to hear from other parents that have some of the same situations that I have.
    Racheal

MamaToHerRoo is offline Senior Member

Racheal,
    First let me welcome you to Time4Learning! Many of us here are homeschooling because public school simply did not work out for our children. I know how you feel in some things. I pulled my daughter from public school middle of 1st grade because of many things, one of those things was that they had decided she would fail 1st grade about October because she was "too immature" and wouldn't do busy work.
    Anyway, Time4Learnig calls those of us who did not intend to homeschool but ended up doing it anyway "accidental homeschoolers". You are in good company!
    Start but checking out some of the other forums, there is one for learning disabilities that might have some hints to help you along. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.
    Again, welcome!
    Linda
    Homeschooling one for 8 years and counting!