Brand new to Homeschooling...
    Unregistered Guest

Lightbulb Brand new to Homeschooling...

Hi, my name is Melanie and my school age children are 8 and 11 (going to 3rd and 6th grade) I'm a bit overwhelmed with all of the options available and was hoping someone might be able to help me narrow down my search of an appropriate program for my family.
    I want to avoid Common Core and am looking to be in as much educational control as possible. I don't want to just sit them in from of a computer or hunker over a book for hours. I'm looking for a more hands on and active education. I intend to take them to various places (field trips if you will) to expose them and allow them to absorb as much as possible.
    Our family is of decent size on a single income so I am hoping to find something tuition free, ideally including the educational spending account that I've seen offered by several programs.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Melanie. If you are looking for as much educational control as possible, then you are looking for a homeschool curriculum (like Time4Learning) instead of an online school (which would charge tuition). Although not nearly as expensive as tution, a curriculum usually costs money. Until high school, Time4Learning is 19.95 for the first student and 14.95/month for each additional student from the same family. High school is thirty dollars per month for your choice of any four courses.

We provide the curriculum and you use it your way. In homeschooling, the parent directs the student's education and is responsible for following the homeschool laws in the student's state of residence. Homeschool laws are designed to make sure the student is actually learning and not to dictate how you must teach. You may add anything you like (field trips, science experiments) to the curriculum. You may follow the suggested lesson sequence, skip lessons, repeat lessons, or just pick and choose which lessons you want to do when.

Homeschooling is much more time efficient than traditional school, because time is not wasted on things like roll call or locker time between classes, and the student can move on to the next subject without waiting for the end of a designated class period. The online lessons do not take much time to complete each day, leaving a lot of time for other educational pursuits.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!