brand new sooo many questions
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MichelleLio

Thread: brand new sooo many questions

Unregistered Guest

Exclamation brand new sooo many questions

Hello!
    We are moving to California December 1st and I have a daughter currently in 1st grade. How do I go about transitioning her to home school mid year? Is this even possible? Come end of 1st grade year, how do I prove that she has graduated? Thank you!!

Robin is offline Senior Member

Default Re: brand new sooo many questions

Hi and welcome! If you're new to homeschooling, you might like this guide: https://www.time4learning.com/homesc...meschool.shtml

I would start by researching my state's homeschooling laws.

Robin is offline Senior Member

Oh, and I believe you can start homeschooling at any time. In my state, you can pull your children out whenever you want to homeschool. Each state will have it's own guidelines about how to prove (or if you even need to prove) that your student passed the previous grade or is progressing.

Unregistered Guest

Are you in California by chance? Hoping I can find someone who can specifically help me with CA guidelines. I will definately check what you have suggested, thank you! And cross my fingers you reside in CA Thank you!!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. I'm not in California, either.

I did help my brother in California get started homeschooling his son. The link that follows is to the best, most concise information that I've seen. Really, only the first option (private school) is actually homeschooling (where the parent directs the student's education, chooses the curriculum, takes care of paperwork themselves, and so forth.) There are a lot of words, but all you really need to do is notify them that you are operating a public school each year and keep some records that no one has the right to look at without a court order. Homeschooling in California

That doesn't address starting mid-year, though. California is unique in that it specifies notification must be given between October 1 and October 15. I found the following about what to do if you miss that October 15 deadline. That rule was made for public schools, of course, and the only penalty appears to be forfeiting funding, which you don't get anyway. That doesn't mean I'm advising you to just file late and forget it, although that does appear to be what many people do. Where the law doesn't specify what to do, everyone has to decide for themselves how to deal with that. Starting Mid-Year in California

Hopefully someone from California who started mid-year will come along with their experience.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MichelleLio is offline Moderator

Hi There!
    I homeschool in Northern Ca.
    Once you have withdrawn your child from there school in the state you are in you have a few options here. Legal Options | California Homeschool Network
    The most popular ways to homeschool are through a homeschool charter or by creating your own private school. Both are simple to do and both you can do once you get here.

Do you know where you are moving to in CA? If you do, I can give you a list of charters in that area.
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello!
    We are moving to California December 1st and I have a daughter currently in 1st grade. How do I go about transitioning her to home school mid year? Is this even possible? Come end of 1st grade year, how do I prove that she has graduated? Thank you!!
    Strouse House likes this.