California Homeschooling Resources
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: California Homeschooling Resources

dustydon is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default California Homeschooling Resources

Here's another wonderful resource. California Homeschool Network at http://www.californiahomeschool.net is a great place to find support, contacts and resources. They put on a wonderful homeschooling conference every year. I usually speak at their conference and cannot say enough good things about the group itself or the conference. There are so many supportive individuals affiliated with this group.

Laura
    Rhonda and mrs.shamblin like this.

Unregistered Guest

Default First time homeschooling

What would be the first steps to stardust homeschooling my kindergartener and 2nd grader

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    What would be the first steps to stardust homeschooling my kindergartener and 2nd grader

Stardust??
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

MichelleLio is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Hi There,
    I think you may have meant to type "What would be the first steps to start homeschooling my kindergartener and 2nd grader?" ( Somehow it came out as Stardust
    I assume you are in California since you posted to the CA board.

Welcome! There are a few ways to legally homeschool in CA.
    1. Join a homeschool charter school. A homeschool charter school will set you up with a teacher that will help you choose curriculum and the school takes care of all the paperwork you would need to show during the year. Many first time homeschooling parents choose this since it is a supportive way to step into homeschooling. Homeschool charters also offer differing amounts of funding that they will allow you to use towards classes( art, dance, archery, etc) or curriculum( Time4Learning, Time4Writing, others). You will not get actual money but the school will pay for certain items for you. Each school gives a different amount so make sure you ask around.
    2. Join a private satellite school.
    3. Make your own private school. You need to fill out an affidavit. You are in charge of everything and responsible for all paperwork. You will need to keep track of attendance and work.(Filing the Private School Affidavit - Private Schools (CA Dept of Education))
    4. Hire a credentialed teacher or tutor.

I hope this is a good beginning for you. If you let me know what are you are in I can direct you to some charters in that area. I am in the Bay Area.
    As a side note for those of us with multiple children, we find Time4Learning to be very helpful. We can work with one child and the other child is on the computer completely engaged in their standards aligned, interactive lessons. I use it with both of my boys.
    Here is another place to get more information- Homeschooling Help

Michelle

Unregistered Guest

Default Just Started Homeschooling

Hi, I have decided to start homeschooling my 9 year old, who would have started 4th grade tomorrrow. I just filled out a Private School Affidavit this evening and have joined time4learning and enrolled her in Capistrano Educations Academy for online schooling . May I ask you what else I need to do to legally homeschool my daughter? Thank you so much. All of this can be a little overwhelming.
    Thank you,
    Jess

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Jess. Capistrano is your state's online public school option. It is not homeschooling. Most students and parents find the online public school option challenging, as the school will decide what curriculum you use and on what schedule you must use it.

You don't need a private school affidavit to use an online public school. Nor do you need to purchase your own curriculum. (Time4Learning is a curriculum). The school will have its own curriculum.

You need to decide whether you want to homeschool (where the parent directs their child's education and is responsible for following the homeschool laws in their child's state of residence) OR if you want your child enrolled in an online school (where a third party directs your child's education and the third party is responsible for following the school laws in the third party's state).

Many people mistakenly refer to online schools as "homeschooling", because the work is done at home. At this point, it looks like you are set up to do both.

I hope this helps explain your options. If you want to follow someone else's schedule, have teachers available to help (and be required to meet with them on schedule), and have someone else choose your child's educational course, then the online public school (Capistrano in your state) might be for you.

If you want to use a curriculum like Time4Learning, direct your child's education yourself, and determine your own schedule, then you want to homeschool (which does require a private school affidavit in your state).

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

MichelleLio is offline Moderator

Hi there,
    Congratulations on your decision to homeschool your child. I agree with Kelly that it looks like you filled out the PSA and are enrolled in a public school charter. I was unable to find a Capistrano Educations Academy when I googled it but there were homeschool public charters with a similar name.
    For this school year 2016-2017), you don't fill out your PSA until October 1st-15th. I know it seems strange but if you are solely going to fill out a PSA you actually don't do anything until October 1st. You will need to make the decision to either be your own private school or stick with the homeschool charter.
    Here are the pros and cons of each
    PSA- you have complete control over the curriculum and teaching however however you also are responsible for all administrative duties.( attendance, records, etc. )
    Charter- by enrolling in a charter you- the charter will take care of all administrative duties, set you up with a credentialed teacher to support you, help you choose curriculum. Plus, the homeschool charters usually give you an allottment of funding to spend on educational vendors ( educational products, classes, extracurricular classes etc.) Some offer on site classes. However, you need to meet with the teacher they assign to you every 20 days and save work samples from each subject.
    Here are two sites to help you understand homeschooling in CA a bit better.
    Homeschooling Help
    HSLDA California Homeschool Law | HS101
    Michelle

TiffanyMagee Guest

Default Re: California Homeschooling Resources

She might be referring to Capistrano Connections Academy (?).

HelenQueen is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by dustydon View Post
    Here's another wonderful resource. California Homeschool Network at California Homeschool Network is a great place to find support, contacts and resources. They put on a wonderful homeschooling conference every year. I usually speak at their conference and cannot say enough good things about the group itself or the conference. There are so many supportive individuals affiliated with this group.

Laura
    thank you! very useful!

Unregistered Guest

Looking to get some information on where to start? I decided homeschooling is the route we want to go and not sure how to start or what curriculum to choose. I want them to have at least one religion curriculum throughout the day.
    Any information would be great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast