Curve Balls in California
    five_blessed is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Curve Balls in California

California has issues in homeschooling that occasionally make things go off the beaten path. What have you run up against that makes it more difficult or frustrating to homeschool? What trials can be expected in beginning to homeschool in California? Or what frustrations do you find "down the road" if you've been homeschooling for some time?
    Blessings,
    Rhonda

It's Time4Learning. And Fun!

"Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

ponywow is offline Junior Member

I spoke to the person at the CA board of education in Sacramento who has the authority to speak to people who are interested in Homeschooling their children. The only requirement is that the kids are taught the subjects from the list on the CA state standards of compliance. If a parent might be transferring their children back into public school at some point the public schools do have the right to test children to make sure they are at grade level. At the end of the road children that have been home schooled need to pass either the CA high school proficiency exam or the GED. This type of test preparation should be included in the homeschool program. I do know that homeschooled children might not be accepted into the military or into a state university with out a diploma from an accreditation high school. WASC accreditation high schools is the only recognized accreditation I know of in CA Community Colleges will accept GED's.

wahmmy is offline Junior Member Newbie

ponywow that isn't what I wanted to hear. I might just enroll him in the CEVA? program now. sigh.

ponywow is offline Junior Member

What is the CEVA program? Some parents home school their children until the 11th grade then put them in an accredited independent high school program to get a diploma.