Explorer Notebook
    ErinD is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Explorer Notebook

We are having some glitches starting up this program. 1st, how do I make an assignment on a certain week? The planner is splitting up lessons over two weeks and I want to keep like lessons in the same week?

Also, the 5th grade social studies lesson on Greece had some links regarding the certain cities but the links did not go anywhere?? Then it instructed to copy to your 'explorer notebook' and we cannot find any link to this. Is this a word program? Any word program? Can this be copied and pasted or does he write it down? My 11 year old had some issues with his hands and handwriting and we try to do most typing on the computer.

Also, with the LA Extension, how do we know what books to read? I see the list but when do they occur? Do we read the books while going through the modules or before? It would be great if the lesson bullet points were written out on the parent side so we don't have to listen to the whole module to see what will be covered.

Otherwise this looks great to have the curriculum already made up for us. The math worksheets are well paced and not the same topic for days and days on end.....

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Explorer Notebook

Quote Originally Posted by ErinD View Post
    We are having some glitches starting up this program. 1st, how do I make an assignment on a certain week? The planner is splitting up lessons over two weeks and I want to keep like lessons in the same week?
    You do not have to use the planner, and if you intend to use the program in any way other than sequentially, it's usually a good idea not to. However, where your only problem is that it is splitting up lessons . . . I think the problem is a misunderstanding of how Time4Learning defines a "lesson". We are used to thinking of a lesson as "the amount of material to be covered in a session". Time4Learning's curriculum is organized differently. You have a subject (such as math, which you can compare to a textbook), which is split into chapters. Each chapter is split into lessons, BUT each lesson is split into many "lesson activities". These lesson activities are what the planner counts, so it typically takes several days to get through a "lesson". I do hope that makes sense. If not, it will begin to make sense when you have used the curriculum a few days.

Also, the 5th grade social studies lesson on Greece had some links regarding the certain cities but the links did not go anywhere??
    Time4Learning provides a complete math and language arts curriculum, with science and social studies included as a free bonus, because much of those two subjects are older lessons. (MOST of the science is now updated.) In any online curriculum, it is common to find dead links, which are usually reported by users and updated. However, the old social studies lessons are no longer being updated by the developer, which is why they are considered bonus material. I would disregard the dead links (there is PLENTY of material in addition to those links) or, if you feel you want to substitute something, just Google information about the topic being studied.

Then it instructed to copy to your 'explorer notebook' and we cannot find any link to this. Is this a word program? Any word program? Can this be copied and pasted or does he write it down? My 11 year old had some issues with his hands and handwriting and we try to do most typing on the computer.
    That's just a fun name for a notebook your child keeps for social studies. My kids used a spiral notebook and we didn't do all the copy work. If your child dislikes writing, you can just discuss these topics (which is what we did) or start a documents folder on your computer where he can file these assignments and just have him do them using your word processing software (such as Word, Word Perfect, etc.).

Also, with the LA Extension, how do we know what books to read? I see the list but when do they occur? Do we read the books while going through the modules or before? It would be great if the lesson bullet points were written out on the parent side so we don't have to listen to the whole module to see what will be covered.
    The book list is optional reading material that is suggested to go along with the lessons. ANY book on the topic being studied will do. The lists are just ideas for go-alongs if your child wants to explore further. With very few exceptions, reading material required to complete the lesson activity is included within the activity. There are a VERY few lesson activities that require a book. They can be skipped if the book isn't handy, since the same concepts are covered many times throughout the curriculum, using different literature. If the book is truly "required" to complete the activity, the lesson plans/scope and sequence will say so.

Remember, Time4Learning provides a lot of material (curriculum and parent tools). You do not have to use everything.

I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have more questions. I'm glad Time4Learning seems to be a good fit for your family so far.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!