First year home schooling, and have a couple questions???????
    mrs.shamblin is offline Junior Member

Question First year home schooling, and have a couple questions???????

Hi all, this is our first year home schooling, and I have a couple questions.

I guess my first question is, when is an appropriate time to teach dictionary skills. My son just started 4th grade and has no clue how to use it. I was under the impression that dictionary skills were taught early on in schools. Am I wrong. We did a few lessons today that I put together using 4th grade spelling words, and he was lost trying to find the words to learn the definitions.

My second question is, how long does everyone "school" per day. I have noticed in the last 2 weeks my son will do about 2 hours on average on the online t4l curriculum. I am adding other lessons we do together hands on. Should his onling lessons be taking longer, or are we ok???

Thanks for reading, and hope to hear from everyone soon. I have to say, choosing to home school has been the best decision I have made. We love it!

ralupascal Guest

Default first year homeschooling

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.shamblin View Post
    Hi all, this is our first year home schooling, and I have a couple questions.

I guess my first question is, when is an appropriate time to teach dictionary skills. My son just started 4th grade and has no clue how to use it. I was under the impression that dictionary skills were taught early on in schools. Am I wrong. We did a few lessons today that I put together using 4th grade spelling words, and he was lost trying to find the words to learn the definitions.

My second question is, how long does everyone "school" per day. I have noticed in the last 2 weeks my son will do about 2 hours on average on the online t4l curriculum. I am adding other lessons we do together hands on. Should his onling lessons be taking longer, or are we ok???

Thanks for reading, and hope to hear from everyone soon. I have to say, choosing to home school has been the best decision I have made. We love it!
    Hello, this is our first year homeschooling as well, my daughter who has started 4th grade as well, started using the student dictionary in 3rd grade and we use it whenever she reads and circles words she does not know, so 4th grade is not too early to learn to use the dictionary. We do about 3-4 hrs schooling per day, about 2 hrs on thursdays and fridays,