Help getting out of public schooling
    Unregistered Guest

Default Help getting out of public schooling

I've been very interested in having my child be home schooled through the time4learning program. What I'm confused about is whether or not I have to somehow show the school and school district that I no longer want my child enrolled in their system. Also I've heard that i must take back all legal forms that i gave including the current school he's enrolled in. If anyone could reply, that'd be great. Thank you

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Help getting out of public schooling

Hi. I'm not in California, but I helped my brother transition my nephew to homeschooling in California. I'll share what I know, until a California resident comes along.

Here is some information about using Time4Learning to homeschool your child. You can't 'have your child homeschooled" (since the parent is the teacher when homeschooling) but, in California, you can hire a tutor to teach your child.

You have three options in California. Using Time4Learning, you could choose to declare yourself a private school or you could hire a certified tutor to help with the student's Time4Learning lessons. Time4Learning isn't a school (it is a curriculum), so that rules out the "satellite school" option.

When my nephew was withdrawn from public school in California, my brother was advised to formally withdraw him and, where it asks for the school he was transferring to, to write "homeschool". (You would not write "Time4Learning", as we are not a school. We are a curriculum, so writing "Time4Learning" would would be like writing a textbook publisher's name.) My understanding is that this isn't a legal requirement, but it's a courtesy to the school and it avoids your child being reported as truant and all the explanations you would then have to make about that.

When you ask about getting back all the papers you have given the school . . . I think you might mean that you want your child's "cumulative record". There are various opinions about whether you are entitled to that or not. Schools send those records to other schools without question. When pushed, most of them will eventually understand that, since the family IS the school when homeschooling, they need to give those records to the parent. Some schools consider the cum file their personal property. A few people have compromised by accepting a photocopy of the actual record. There are no hard-and-fast laws about this, except the federal law saying parents definitely have the right to view their child's educational records, so I would at least get copies.

I hope this helps get you started. Time4Learning allows anyone to sign up at any time. They do encourage you to follow the homeschool laws in your state, but they don't oversee that.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Robin is offline Senior Member

I am no help but wanted to say welcome!

MichelleLio is offline Moderator

Hi there!

Here is a link that will help you understand a bit more about withdrawing from school.
    http://hslda.org/hs101/CA.aspx

You have a few options when you choose to legally homeschool. Here is a link: Legal Options | California Homeschool Network
    The most popular two are to choose a homeschool charter school. These are great because not only will the site provide you with a teacher to help guide you if you need that but you can often borrow the curriculum they have if they have a site. In addition, the homeschool charters give you an allotment of vendor funding allowing you to enroll your child in art or physical education classes, purchase curriuculum, etc. If you PM and let me know your county I will send you a list of charters in your area.

Another way families homeschool is to go out on their own through a Private School Affadavit. (found here:Establishing Your Private School | California Homeschool Network If you do this, you don't need to tell your child's school you are homeschooling, many homeschool associations will tell you that this is not their business- you can simply tell them you are withdrawing you child to attend another school.

Also, Time4Learning is not a school so you can't "homeschool through Time4Learning" . However, you can use Time4Learning as a full curriculum and it's affordable.

Good Luck on your homeschooling journey!
    Michelle
    Alameda, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I've been very interested in having my child be home schooled through the time4learning program. What I'm confused about is whether or not I have to somehow show the school and school district that I no longer want my child enrolled in their system. Also I've heard that i must take back all legal forms that i gave including the current school he's enrolled in. If anyone could reply, that'd be great. Thank you
    It's as Easy as going into the office of the school. Telling them you are withdrawing your children. They will ask reason why, simply say we are homeschooling. Only thing is you want to have their accounts already set up. We did this all in one day. I got their accounts set up the night before, then had them go to school for half the day. They may ask for the homeschooling name and you just tell them It's an online curriculum called Time4Learning.

You will have to sign some forms. Also ask for their medical records that they have on file for your own records if you don't have their records somewhere already. That's it! They wont bother you if you already have them started in a homeschooling program. If you tell them you are THINKING about it.. they will try to talk you out of it because it looks really bad on the school system when children leave to be homeschooled... they also lose money per child that is gone.

I set up the front room like a school with school supplies a play area and table with lap tops, bulletins boards with their names on them to personalize their space for them to add pictures and different inspirational quotes. I then went to pick my children up, went into the office, and told them I was withdrawing them and I was taking them out right now. The children already knew so they cleaned out their desks and said good bye to their class.

Be prepared for your children to have mixed emotions. But by day 2 mine were so happy they haven't talked about their old school at all. We keep them busy and they are excited to learn.

Seriously best decision I ever made

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

If the school you are withdrawing from asks for the "homeschooling name", they are assuming you are using the satellite school option. Time4Learning is not a school. It's a curriculum . . . an online alternative to going out and purchasing or renting a big stack of textbooks. That would be similar to them asking for the name of the book store in which you purchased the books you intend to use. They really only need to know you are homeschooling. They do not need to know what method, textbooks, or online materials you will be using. Sometimes it's courteous to provide additional information to a school you are leaving, but the law does not require it and, actually, their records will not be accurate if they mistakenly assume you are enrolling in a satellite school.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!