Homeschooling an autistic child
    nbelt001 Guest

Default Homeschooling an autistic child

Hi,

I am a tutor, homeschooling a child who is autistic. We are in transition in finding the right school for him. He is 9 years old, but is doing lower grade coursework (kinder/first grade). Do you know of any homeschool programs in California that are flexible and in which the curriculum can be tailored to the child’s needs? Very much appreciated.

Nancy.

smithcheryl Guest

A charter school is a really good idea since it's more tailored to the students needs and not the class as a whole. And then also do group learning and foster more creative thinking. The only down side is that there a challenge to get into. I'm here in CA in the east bay and I just found out that there is a specialneeds school here in Concord but you have to be referred there thru IEP so just takes research and persistence. Gotta bug the school district.

smithcheryl is offline Junior Member Newbie

maybe a charter homeschool? My son has aspergers so can understand

Unregistered Guest

Hello i can completely relate. My daughter is also 9 years of age and in a kinder/first grade level. She was recently asked to leave California Virtual academy and find something more fitting for her needs (it was a virtual public school mind you so much for the whole no child left behind act). anyways, i found a Private Satelite Homeschool, which they basically handle all the paper work for state needed. You are free to pick the curriculum. you basicaly pay 25 a month for them to handle the admin side. the website is Morris Academy - ISP in California - Home (they are in the middle of a name change) they have a consultant by the name of Rebeka Wilson (the founder) who speciallizes in Special needs She has 8 adopted Autistic children that she home schools. She also has a Masters in special education so she can help with what ever questions u have. This year i am trying Time4learning as our Core Curriculum as she is more of a visual learner.