New and I need help
    mrsrafferty is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question New and I need help

I'm new to homeschooling completely. I took my children out of public school this year and started homeschooling. I bought all kinds of curriculum books and signed up for T4L. My problem is I don't know how to teach my children. I can help them but I don't know where to start on teaching. I don't feel like I'm giving them that much work but I just don't know what to do. I don't want to put them back in school but I feel like I'm messing them up. Plus they feel so alienated with no friends I just feel like I'm at my wits end. Help me somebody. 

Hillary32 Guest

Default You're doing great!

This is my first year too! Have you joined a local group or co-op? Mine has all kinds of field trips and monthly support meetings. There is a great website called Heart of the Matter that has ideas and support. I worked in public education for 13 years and it takes much less time to instruct a class of 2 or 3 than it does a class of 30!! If you're done after a few hours, that's OK! My kids spend about two hours on T4L each day. I sit near them and do the activity with them if they need help. The program is doing most of the teaching. I'm just there for support. In the afternoons we do Unit Studies. Amanda Bennet has some easy ones that don't require any prep. I don't do much instruction during this time either - its more like we are learning about a subject together. You taught your kids how to tie their shoes, use the potty, make toast? Then you know how to teach Don't rush, enjoy this time with your family, its a gift!

FamilyofBurgs is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Confused...

Hello...I am new to homeschooling too and I have signed up with T4L and I just dont feel like I'm getting the whole thing. Like I have been trying to figure out how to make a lesson plan. But everytime I look up how to do it and I just don't know how to. I see the key where they are showing you what each icon means but I dont see where the option is to pick which lessons I choose for them to do. I am very computer literate but can't seem how to figure this out. If someone could please help I would greatly appreciate it

Unregistered Guest

Red face Help

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyofBurgs View Post
    Hello...I am new to homeschooling too and I have signed up with T4L and I just dont feel like I'm getting the whole thing. Like I have been trying to figure out how to make a lesson plan. But everytime I look up how to do it and I just don't know how to. I see the key where they are showing you what each icon means but I dont see where the option is to pick which lessons I choose for them to do. I am very computer literate but can't seem how to figure this out. If someone could please help I would greatly appreciate it
    Have you ladies tried calling the T4L toll free number? I believe they are very helpful. That's what they are there for! To support you. You are welcome to email me at [email protected] and if you aren't able to get help from them, I would be happy to help you

Terry Guest

Cool I am doing this right?

Since this is your first year of homeschooling just decide that you are going to complete the year at home. When you leave open the return to school option you lose focus. Tell your children that you will talk to them in the summer about their thoughts on how it went--but this homeschool decision is good and (done!) has been made.

My girls see their friends (neighbors) when those children are home from school. We go on a field trip every week or two. Teach your kids that they can (and should) be friends with each other. Teach them to sew, cook, build a table, use tools and how to use the library's resources properly.

This is the time to help them find their strengths and talents and fine tune them.

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hillary32 View Post
    This is my first year too! Have you joined a local group or co-op? Mine has all kinds of field trips and monthly support meetings. There is a great website called Heart of the Matter that has ideas and support. I worked in public education for 13 years and it takes much less time to instruct a class of 2 or 3 than it does a class of 30!! If you're done after a few hours, that's OK! My kids spend about two hours on T4L each day. I sit near them and do the activity with them if they need help. The program is doing most of the teaching. I'm just there for support. In the afternoons we do Unit Studies. Amanda Bennet has some easy ones that don't require any prep. I don't do much instruction during this time either - its more like we are learning about a subject together. You taught your kids how to tie their shoes, use the potty, make toast? Then you know how to teach Don't rush, enjoy this time with your family, its a gift!
    I have been homeschooling for three years now. I found that using scripted material really helps at first. I would recommend trying first language lessons, writing with ease, Saxon math, and things like that.

hudge95 is offline Junior Member

Hi ladies,

I'm new to this forum but a long-time homeschooler (11 years). Let me just mention that the first year is THE hardest. Don't give up! It's a learning time for everyone-including you! You will learn what works and what doesn't, how to handle different temperments and learning styles, schedules and much more. As Terry mentioned above, making a return to public school an option will make you lose focus. You CAN do this! Many of us doubted ourselves in the beginning. But when you see results of your kids learning, seeing the "light" go on in their eyes when they've mastered a difficult math concept or learn to read, my goodness, nothing compares to it! It's nothing short of amazing! YOU did that! YOU made it possible for them. YOU are providing a safe, loving environment for them to learn to love learning.

Now for some practical suggestions:

Would it be possible to get them into sOome enrichment classes- art, dance, gymnastics, anything? I have 3 kids and lets face it, I cannot afford to get classes for everyone for the whole year. They take turns with classes through Community Services District. Usually they run about 6 weeks and are reasonably priced.

Have you looked into a meetup group? www.meetup.com When we lived in Sacramento there was a really cool group that just did field trips. Someone would arrange a neat tour or get a group rate for a musical or play and if you wanted to go, you could sign up. Simple as that. I liked it because the moms were friendly but I didn't feel like I had to do a co-op thing with them or haggle about who's methods were 'right'.

You didn't mention the ages of your kids but the younger ages can combine a lot of subjects. Read aloud, Social Studies, beginning foreign language, Science and PE are great to do together. Some math games you may be able to do or at least include the younger ones somehow. Be creative!!

Well, hopefully I've encouraged you somehow. PM me if you'd like to talk.

Best Wishes on your journey,

Tina
    "I've never let school get in the way of my education."