New to T4L

Thread: New to T4L

CaliMomRN is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to T4L

Hi everyone!

I am brand new to T4L; my son is currently in 2nd grade in a public school system and is not performing at his potential. I researched a lot of supplemental and full homeschooling programs and this one received the best reviews. My son currently attends public school and we are using T4L to supplement the education at this time. I have never thought about homeschooling until now. This last year has been a roll-a-coaster of issues and my son now hates school. He does not focus well in large groups and is easily distracted. He told me the other night he wanted to just be able to finish his school work at once so he does not have to sit in the uncomfortable chair for so many hours. He is a bright child that was deemed advanced by physicians and educators; he can tell you the answers to problems but has difficulty staying focused in writing exams. A traditional school system may not be the best track for him. I work part time as a nurse and will be changing my schedule to accommodate this process.
    I am going to have a lot of questions in this process, bare with me please!

Unregistered Guest

Where in Cali are you located? This sounds just like what my daughter is going through!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliMomRN View Post
    Hi everyone!

I am brand new to T4L; my son is currently in 2nd grade in a public school system and is not performing at his potential. I researched a lot of supplemental and full homeschooling programs and this one received the best reviews. My son currently attends public school and we are using T4L to supplement the education at this time. I have never thought about homeschooling until now. This last year has been a roll-a-coaster of issues and my son now hates school. He does not focus well in large groups and is easily distracted. He told me the other night he wanted to just be able to finish his school work at once so he does not have to sit in the uncomfortable chair for so many hours. He is a bright child that was deemed advanced by physicians and educators; he can tell you the answers to problems but has difficulty staying focused in writing exams. A traditional school system may not be the best track for him. I work part time as a nurse and will be changing my schedule to accommodate this process.

Air_Force_Mom Guest

Cool Fulltime Airmen/Fulltime Mom/Part Time Teacher

I have a 2nd (going to the 3rd), 4th (going to the 5th) and a 8th (going to the 9th) graders in my home. I don't know how unique my story is but I wanted to share it. The school my younger 2 children go to is really nice but it's very crowded. I to don't feel that my boys are living up to their potential. So for them we are homeschooling through the summer to see how it works and on Saturday's They love the computer and these lessons seem self paced. So I am hoping they really enjoy it and we can do homeschool on Friday evenings, and half days Saturday and Sunday to supplement their education and help them excel.

Now for my 8th grader. This poor guy has been dealt a bad hand. He got held back in the 3rd Grade which is one of the reasons my husband made a deal to have him come live with us for 2 years while we were overseas so he came to live with us and we got him a Individualized Education Plan (IEP) he did 4th and 5th grade with us. going into the 4th grade he was stuck at a 3rd grade level so he has always been a grade behind and we have been playing catch up. However, the plan to have him do school work to help him catch up fell through, because the Ex Wife decides that she wants him to live with her again so after 2 years of hard work it all went down the drain so now he has been back with us since Dec of last year. We went through the IEP Process again and discovered he is exactly where he was academically when he left us in 2010 in grade 4.8... the bad part his he went through the 6th, and 7th grade performing at this academic level.. Another issue we applied his IEP his classes where adjusted he go the help he needs and he gets a lot of assistance. He barely made it out of the 8th Grade but I am really worried about him because I know in my heart that Academically he belongs in the 5th grade. So here I am on Time4Learning hoping to get him the skill set he needs to catch up. This is my story!!!!! Thank you for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliMomRN View Post
    Hi everyone!