New to T4L, need advice for a newbie
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ralupascal

Thread: New to T4L, need advice for a newbie

Jamie Whosoever Shamblin is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to T4L, need advice for a newbie

Hello all. My name is Jamie, I am the mother of 3, (2 boys 12 & 8, plus my 11 year old girl). I guess I would be the "Accidental Homeschooler". We have been struggling with our school for well into 2 years now. Our daughter is special needs so is in the sdc program, and is transferring to the local middle school. We had some incidents this last school year where she actually was left unattended and broke her collar bone. After 6 weeks of lies from her teacher, we finally were told the truth. Thankfully she wont be in touch with any one of the people involved in the incident/school ever again. Our Oldest son is in a military based academy and is thriving there. Our youngest however is another story. He too was having issues with his teacher (same school that my daughter is leaving), and was continuously bullied daily with no help from staff. With the new school year fast approaching, my fear for his safety both physically and mentally started.
    Since I don't have any experience in homeschooling, we have chosen "cyber schooling" for this year, but also want to integrate some lessons that will help us transition into home based homeschooling. I would love to have some ideas that might help me and my son, making it a smooth and easy transition for both of us. I don't have any experience in homeschooling, so I am nervous, I want to make sure I am doing everything possible to help my son be successful. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

ralupascal Guest

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Whosoever Shamblin View Post
    Hello all. My name is Jamie, I am the mother of 3, (2 boys 12 & 8, plus my 11 year old girl). I guess I would be the "Accidental Homeschooler". We have been struggling with our school for well into 2 years now. Our daughter is special needs so is in the sdc program, and is transferring to the local middle school. We had some incidents this last school year where she actually was left unattended and broke her collar bone. After 6 weeks of lies from her teacher, we finally were told the truth. Thankfully she wont be in touch with any one of the people involved in the incident/school ever again. Our Oldest son is in a military based academy and is thriving there. Our youngest however is another story. He too was having issues with his teacher (same school that my daughter is leaving), and was continuously bullied daily with no help from staff. With the new school year fast approaching, my fear for his safety both physically and mentally started.
    Since I don't have any experience in homeschooling, we have chosen "cyber schooling" for this year, but also want to integrate some lessons that will help us transition into home based homeschooling. I would love to have some ideas that might help me and my son, making it a smooth and easy transition for both of us. I don't have any experience in homeschooling, so I am nervous, I want to make sure I am doing everything possible to help my son be successful. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    Hello, I am an accidental homeschooler as well, and this is our first year homeschooling and we just started this month. I too have doubted and still doubt myself weather I made the right decision to homeschool my girls ( 6 and 9). I have to say that since we started with our lessons 2 weeks ago everything has gone so well, they enjoy it and so DO I! I use time4learning as supplemental learning on the subject I dont have time ti go over sometimes. I have purchased a cd called Accelerated Achievement and it has many lessons from K-!2 so I print out the daily work for each girl along with their math worksheets and they work on them with my supervision of course. Take it easy first because they are so used to the public school system and it gets a little easier and more routine. Good Luck
    mrs.shamblin likes this.