Publicly Funded Homeschooling in California
    Sandranelson1968 is offline Junior Member

Default Publicly Funded Homeschooling in California

Laura, I read your page with information on homeschooling in California. I'm curious about how it all works in California.

You say that you are using a charter school this year. Is that what they call: "a homeschool charter school?" What services does the charter school provide? What funding? What constraints? I've heard that at the elementary school level, it's a really nice setup since the school pays for pretty much anything you want and is generally, very flexible. But that you still have to take standardized tests.

When you switch to a private school, I imagine you will lose your funding. Why would you make the switch? I appreciate any help in understanding how it works.

dustydon is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Publicly Funded Homeschooling in California

There are different types of charter schools. Some are ran by school districts and they are "in school" charters. Then there are charter schools that are homeschool based. We have used this route for all the years we have been homeschooling. The homeschool based charter school provides a teacher once a month to collect attendance and work samples. They are also there to bounce ideas off of and place the purchase orders for curriculum, field trips and classes that the charter school offers. The funding offered by each charter school varies so interviewing each school is a must to see what they offer for the money provided. There is also a different rate for high school than for elementary which is considered K-8 for the purpose of funding. The constraints are no religious materials, you have to use their vendors, and testing is required by the school. Now I use "required" loosely since you can opt out of testing just by writing a letter stating you are opting your child out.

When someone switches to the private school option, they do lose funding and any other supports the charter school was offering. Families make the switch for different reasons - confident enough to not have the oversight, want more freedom, want to use religious based materials, will be traveling a lot, etc. We are leaving due to the constraints and other issues with special education.

Educating yourself is the best way to go so you can make an informed decision about what will work best for you and your family. Even if you make a decision and it doesn't work, then you can always try something new. Please feel free to go to California Homeschool Network at http://californiahomeschool.net/default.htm and click on Just the Facts to get a better understanding of the different options in California.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you.

Laura

CAmom21 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Laura,

I just started homeschooling last week in California. I had to make a very quick choice and did not know about all the choices. I was only aware of Score and Chep which appear to be the charter schools you are referring. I am using Chep which stands for Children Home Education Program. They gave me books for my son and for me. They meet once a month and for October to March offer some workshops in Math, Language Arts, and Art. I like them but they are not using Time4learing. I am having to pay for this on my own as well as it appear to be "extra" work for us. I have friend outside of California using Time4Learning as their main learning tool. I want to do this as well. Are you aware of any charter schools in California that are using Time4learning? I have asked Time4learning but they did not answer my question.

Thank you,

Cristina

dustydon is offline Junior Member Newbie

It depends on what area of CA you live in. If you go to http://www.cde.ca.gov/ds/si/cs/ap1/imagemap.aspx you can look up charter's in your county. You can also look at charter schools in surrounding counties as they sometimes cover multiple areas.

Laura

JohnEdelson is offline Super Moderator

Does anyone know the statistics on homeschooling in California? Specifically, which of the approaches to homeschooling are the most popular?

Do most homeschoolers in California use the California homeschool charter schools?
    John Edelson, Founder
    It's Time 4 Learning. And Fun!

Time4Learning: Automated Online PreK-12th Curriculum for Math, Language Arts & More.
    Time4Writing provides eight week writing courses for students, 2nd-12th grade. Teachers included!
    Time4MathFacts: Automated Game-Based math facts practice, a foundation for future math success.
    Time4Languages: Ten of Rosetta-Stone's legendary language learning programs provided at reduced costs to T4L members

From what i can find majority people in southern CA use the independent study and "homeschool" charter schools. Both the State and the Individual Counties have independent programs as well as a multitude of private charter 'homeschools'. The state requires an Affadivit filing as a private school to homeschool and being your own school can be alittle daunting at first. Also, there are alot of erroneous publications and articles that state it is illegal to homeschool in CA. I'm trying to do straight homeschool because the state is trying to 'manage' homeschooling and what and how we teach, by controlling the State and County run independent study programs and is trying to pass laws that only certified teachers can homeschool and run private schools. Leaving straight homeschooling a little overwhelming and nerve wracking. Personally, Iam trying to find others straight homeschooling for the support to go on my own. I've done it before in WA, but here in CA there are more requirements and paperwork. All of the paperwork and forms can be found at http://californiahomeschool.net/default.htm, thru CHN, California Homeschool Network. They also have line by line directions on how to fill out the Affidavit. They will probably have all the info on statistics you are looking for as well.

Hope some of this helps.
    Jennifer
    Jennifer