Roll Call- California Homeschooling Parent Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MichelleLio is offline Moderator

Default Roll Call- California Homeschooling Parent Forum

Hi,

My name is Michelle and I am the moderator for the CA page. I live in the Bay Area and homeschool. My style fluctuates between classical education and unschooling depending on our needs. Our one constant is T4L since the kids are able to use it on their own and take it with us on travels.

If you are a CA homeschooling parent, new, a seasoned veteran or somewhere in between, we would love to hear from you.

Michelle

Hi, we are new to this whole thing. I have filed the affidavit for the state of California earlier this year. We went through the kindergarten stuff at T4L last year with our daughter (took about 3 months).

The question my partner has is A) how do we show that we are indeed enrolled in school, now that the sweetie is 6, and kids must be in school? The affidavit shows that there IS a school, but does not list students. So how would the state know all is copacetic? B) What if we wanted to enroll her in a school later, say in 5 years?

For example, this lady is a native of Mexico, how could she enter school down there, if that is what they wanted to do at that time? Or what if the decision was made (God forbid) to put her in some kind of school here? What shows that this girl would have graduated or completed her grades in school, so she could enter school at her appropriate grade level?

Thanks much for your time. I will put this question for all to read as well.

Andrew

Welcome Andrew and Family! It's great to have more California families on the board.

(Andrew, I posted your question and answer here )

sahshanava is offline Junior Member

Hello,

My name is Sahsha and I have 4 of 6 kids in homeschool. We are brand new to homeschool and trying to navigate through. We are in San Diego with a preschooler, 2nd grader, 4th grader and 6th grader. I dont know what our style is, I just know the public school was failing us terribly. Anyone else use any other resources besides time4learning?

I have read a bit about unschooling. How have you guys used it? My kids are all so different, I would like to have as many resources as possible for them!

Thanks for the welcome!

Sahsha

Unregistered Guest

Default New to HomeSchooling in SFBayArea

Hello,

My name is Nadine and we have recently decided to homeschool our incoming 9th grader. We have used T4L as supplemental to our children's learning in the past. We have enrolled him in the EnlightiumAcademy and have yet to finish all of the protocol to officially unenroll him in public school. It is a bit overwhelming. Also difficult for options, since CA only seems to accept WASC accredited programs. We are interested in participating and interacting with other peer homeschoolers, whether it is for social, community service, field trips, etc. We also would be interested in adding t4l curriculum for additional coursework. Can we add and earn credit for the additional courses? I really like the t4l writing option, and realize that is a separate program.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Nadine.

Time4Learning is a homeschool curriculum. In homeschooling, the parent directs the student's education and the parent is responsible for following the homeschool laws in the student's state of residence. The teaching parent chooses the curriculum to use, and the teaching parent decides what the student must do to graduate from the family's homeschool. The teaching parent determines what equals "one credit". All fifty states allow a parent to issue a homeschool diploma to their own child. The best place to learn about homeschooling high school is Let's Homeschool High School.com . They have printable diploma and transcript templates, and all sorts of additional information.

With an online school (which many people mistakenly refer to as "homeschooling"), a third party (the school) directs the student's education and the third party is responsible for following the school laws in the school's state. Time4Learning is not an online school. It is a homeschool curriculum.

California does have an option for you to homeschool without using an accredited school. Here is some information about California homeschool laws. If you use Time4Learning, you will want to follow the home-based private school option.

Since Time4Writing uses certified teachers to teach your child, it does award school credit. Your child will get a certificate at the end that shows how much credit he has earned and, chances are, a school would accept that for credit. As a homeschool parent, you can accept that credit or decide it's worth a different amount of credit. With homeschooling, you have maximum flexibility.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Unregistered Guest

Smile Thank you!

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for the clarification, the links and helpful information!

Nadine

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: Roll Call- California Homeschooling Parent Forum

I am 2 weeks into homeschooling my 12 year old 7th grade daughter. I have her enrolled in K-12 CAVA but I do not think it is going to work so now I am in the processing of doing lots and lots of research. I love everything I have read and seen about T4L and thinking possibly if I can figure out how to go private include the core curriculum from T4L and then add some un-schooling to teach life skills. I am in Bakersfield, Ca

CLF Guest

Anyone in the Southern California ( Los Angeles ) area? I have a 4th grader who I'm homeschooling and it's all new to me. We signed up for time for writing program and so far it looks good. I have found TFL very responsive and helpful thus far.

Welcome to T4L. I am sure there are many Southern California families. Have you checked out Time4Learning on Facebook? There is an active Facebook group and you could find more Southern California families on there.
    Michelle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast