Starting independent homeschooling
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By monnalu

Thread: Starting independent homeschooling

monnalu is offline Member

Default Starting independent homeschooling

I have been homeschooling my 4th grade grand daughter for the past 2 years through a satellite program of a public charter school About 8 years ago I homeschooled my grandson and had my private school avidavit. Now, my grand daughter is completing all the 4th grade requirements and the school district of the charter school will not let her progress to the fifth grade--they will be expecting her to do busy work for the entire second semester. She is not a happy camper. We will withdraw her from the charter school and I will again apply for an avidavit to be my own private school. What are the requirements in California for withdrawing a student from school. Do we just give written notice that she is going to homeschooled?

Initially, we were all happy with the Charter school, because it seemed we got some support there--guitar lessons, field trips, extra activities. But she can get the guitar lessons independently from the same teacher; the field trips are poorly organized and offer little in the way of learning experiences other than what we cover as a family; and the extra activities are geared for the very young. I have chosen her curriculum and textt with her input--she loves T4L and does well with it, but we use a commercial text for social studies as she needed California history. We had hoped, because it was a public school, she would get to continue with the speech therapist, but after 2 years of asking for the evaluation nothing has happened. We can take care of this on our own.

My grand daughter is extremely excited to start with out own school. She can then work as fast as she wants and is capable of doing. \

Any comments or suggestions will be reac with interest.

monnalu is offline Member

Found the answer to my question about disenrolling my grand daughter. Thanks.
    lovehmschlg likes this.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Monnalu,

This may be helpful for Information on Homeschooling in California. You will also find a link on that page for homeschool support groups near you. This will be a good way to meet up with other homeschoolers and maybe even some group activities. Our local support group has field trips, drama club, yearbook club and other activities that my teens enjoy.

Looking forward to seeing you around the Time4Learning Forums.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass