Welcome to the California Homeschooling Forum!
    five_blessed is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Welcome to the California Homeschooling Forum!

Welcome to the California forum! I am your moderator, and am thrilled to be here, helping those of you in CA get more info on homeschooling, answering your questions when possible, and supporting your journey however I can. If you are a new homeschooler, and are looking for info on homeschooling in California, be sure to visit our California State Page. And if you have updates, events, or just want to chat, please visit this forum often and share with us!!
    Last edited by topsytechie; 01-29-2010 at 08:10 PM.
    Blessings,
    Rhonda

It's Time4Learning. And Fun!

"Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

Default Convention

Is the homeschool convention from CHN the only one in California?
    Jennifer

Blog Entries

Hi Jennifer!

There are actually many homeschool conventions in CA. Visit Homeschool Conventions to see a long list of the conventions all over the U.S. It is very user-friendly and includes the city, state, convention, sponsor and dates. There are also links for more info if you find one of interest. Hope this helps!
    Blessings,
    Rhonda

"Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

Hi Rhonda,

Thanks for the convention info, do you know anything about the CHN one in August? (California Homeschooling Network)
    Last edited by Jennsbeaches; 02-19-2010 at 04:09 PM.
    Jennifer

Blog Entries

Good morning, Jenn!

Unfortunately, I have never been to the CHN convention. I have looked over their info about the convention and I was impressed. I feel that the pace is a little slower and more relaxed than some, but that could be a good thing! They also have a graduation for high school seniors. That's something you don't see at many of the conventions. I'll keep asking around and see if I can find anyone that has participated in this convention. If I find anyone, I'll let you know their response.

Are you finding interest in any of the other conventions? If so, I'd love to know!

Have a great day!
    Blessings,
    Rhonda

Hi,

I really liked the one in Washington, WHO, but unfortunately I don't have the time or the funds to go up there. I really am just looking for a good Curriculum Fair. The WHO had fabulous booklets for great Science experiments that my older children loved and were very inexpensive as far as supplies. They also had really inexpensive projects for Art and Music. It was really nice and only $10 per person and children were free or less than $5. I wish it was here in CA

Anyway, let me know if you hear of anything along those lines

Are you planning on going to any?

Also, doyou happen to know why the server is always down lately? It's been a little challenging to stay on target

Have a Happy Day!
    Jennifer

Blog Entries

Jennifer,

We certainly have frugality in common! I get so excited when I find a great deal on something and homeschool curriculum and conventions are no exception. There are some great resources available out there that are either free or low cost. You can actually find a lot of things on the internet with a little searching. If you plan in advance, you can actually prepare a nice curriculum using what you've found on the internet in addition to using your local library.

Yes, I will attend a convention this year and maybe more than one if time permits. I haven't completely decided on the "perfect" one yet! I'll keep you updated on that one!

Oh, you had mentioned that you have some older children that like science projects. How old are your children? I found an excellent website called Science Buddies that lists some awesome science fair and project ideas.

About the server being down. Hmm....I haven't had that problem from my side. Let me do some checking and I'll let you know. I'm sorry that you've had a problem! Thanks for being persistent to get back on the site!

Blessings,
    Rhonda

Blog Entries

Default Technical Difficulties

Hi Jennifer,

I wanted to get back to you let you know that the difficulties you were having were due to a necessary update that was taking place with the server. Actually, there were a couple of days involved. You'll be happy to know that everything is updated and running fine now! And thank you, once again, for letting me know and for your patience and persistence! It's readers like you that make it all worth while!
    Blessings,
    Rhonda

Hey,

Thank you for checking into that, I'm still have Tech issues but another poster is trying to help. The Forum is one of the many things I love about T4L. The Support is great and just reading everyones posts is encouraging...Homeschooling is definitly the best for my children, (most children I think), but it can be frustrating and tiring sometimes. It's nice to be able to support each other.

Hope all is great with you and yours
    Jennifer

ponywow is offline Junior Member

I am having difficulty locating a home-school support group in my area. Did many searches and couldn't find anything. I heard that a home-school co-op formed in the next town over. I am trying to figure out where these support groups are.