Why does our charter not accept T4L as a complete curric?
    dirtlover.mama is offline Junior Member

Question Why does our charter not accept T4L as a complete curric?

We are in the Charter school Visions in Education. We can order T4L but they won't let me use it as our main curriculum! They say it is supplemental. Anyone know why? How can I work this out? What would I need to add to it? Anyone know? I'd like to use it next year, as I will have one in grade 3 and one in K plus a 2 yo..and we need this!
    ~Jen~
    Mama to three girlies.
    E~DD 6yo 1st grade
    H~DD 3yo Preschool
    A~DD 9month old nursling, cloth diapered baby~
    We are in our second year of homeschooling!

Unregistered Guest

Lightbulb Acceptable curriculum

CA has a lot of state requirements, but when you join a public charter school--they decide what counts as curriculum versus enrichment.

I am an independent homeschooler--I receive no monies for educating my children. This means I decide what curriculum best meets or exceeds the CA standard. I use Christian texts and time for learning for many subjects-not all. For example I use Bob Jones (bjupress) for religion science, social studies. I homeschool my children so they can have a Christian World view.

I also have my children tested each year. We use Stanford testing--this verifies (to Me) that I am on the right track.

All public (and public charter) schools want your student to get top scores, so they want you to use the textbook they know were published with CA standards in mind. Numbers matter very much to them.

I hope this helps you understand the charter school's position and help you make your own decision on how to homeschool your children in a way that meets your standards.

doreengm13 is offline Junior Member Newbie

hi
    how do you become an independent homeschooler? I'm new to it and would like to find the best for my kids

thank you!
    DM

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by doreengm13 View Post
    hi
    how do you become an independent homeschooler? I'm new to it and would like to find the best for my kids

thank you!
    DM
    You can register with the CA board of education (file a PSA, Private School Affidavit) which states that you are a private school. It takes about 10 minutes to complete online and you need to apply each fall. We use Time4Learning as our complete cirriculum. I do add other things as I come across them online (there's a ton of free learning sites!) We're going to be adding Heart of Wisdom (free online bible study) and I use Crayola.com for art, oh, and we love SpellingCity.com!

chasingdreamsacademy is offline Junior Member

I just went through the process as well in CA. My son has autism and we are using Time4Learning, BrainPop, many unit studies for social studies and science, and Math 4 by Teaching Textbooks for math.

Very easy....LOVE that I can do this in CA!

jewels3gs is offline Junior Member Newbie

How do you go about finding the website to submit the form to?

monnalu is offline Member

I homeschool my granddaughter through a public Charter school. I work closely with her supervising teacher and use T4L for most subjects. I do not like their math so we use Saxon. Right now, for social studies I use T4L with supplements, but next year she will be in the fourth grade and California requires California history, so I will use the accepted textbook with supplementation. Science is primarily T4L with supplements. I do my own reading program and use Zaner for spelling and G.U.M (Grammar, Usage, and Mechanics) for grammar. We also have added Latin to her curriculum and we use Lively Latin online for that--there are some Christian -based online programs, but her family is Wicca, so we did not go that route. When she was enrolled in Independent Learning through the public schools, we had no options for curriculum and I was very unhappy with it. We are very conservative and prefer to have to taught to respect all views, but we lean toward conservatism which is not popular in the general California population. Through the charter school she also has private music lessons and many field trips. We also take field trips of our own. I keep detailed records and so far her teacher is pleased with her progress.