Can Christians Use A Secular Curriculum?
    MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Can Christians Use A Secular Curriculum?

Can christians use a secular curriculum? GREAT question and one I personally have given a lot of thought to. Here is an article that I thought you might be interested in:

Can Christians Use A Secular Curriculum?
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

Daph is offline Member

Yes, I think so, as long as the curriculum doesn't become a negative influence, and as long as the parent supplements with a Christian curriculua, or Bible study time, as well. We used an all Christian curriculum last year, and we felt that it was lacking in other areas.

maryc927 is offline Member

I think for sure we can use a secular curriculum. A year or so ago, we tried a Christian curriculum that was very expensive, took too long each day to complete, and became frustrating for everyone. I would much rather choose a program that is secular, more affordable, and the kids enjoy it, even if we have to pick our Bible Study program to go with what we do. Although, the Christian program was nice, we are always talking about the Lord and how much He impacts everything we do all of the time anyway.

lstench is offline Junior Member

Yes I think we can. As with anything we need to tweak it be it secular or Christian to fit the needs of our family. Isn't that the point of homeschooling?

Rare Treasures is offline Junior Member

Sure. As long as it's not too far off base from biblical principles. Like, I wouldn't choose a science program that is heavy on the evolution and big bang. If all it needs is a little tweaking, then it's fine. With that being said, I usually try to stick with Christian programs. T4L is the only thing I've used that's secular. Even so, we don't use the science and ss.
    Mama to 3 girls: , , and

VRSpock is offline Junior Member Newbie

The math material on here is excellent....I was just reviewing the 8th grade level titles and realized how detailed it gets. Science and Social Studies could be better on here if they were more neutral on the whole creationism/evolution debate. I've been on the evolution side of the fence in the past and so I am fully aware of and could teach both the evolutionary theory and creationism.

The most important thing with science though is to approach it in a scientific manner...and a true scientific manner is one that doesn't take other people's hypothesis and theories and turn them into gospel. We rely on recorded historical evidence for knowledge of the past and not some virtual simulation or so-called test that is based upon a gazillion half guessed variables to form our beliefs. The secular science text books get re-written every generation anyhow, so it's not like they have been gospel practically written in stone for thousands of years like a certain other source of information.

mindatpeace is offline Junior Member Newbie

There are superb materials on major subjects as math and science. No problem with the integration. As long as you are there, you can always guide them!