Christian perspective
    set apart is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Christian perspective

I know this is a secular program. But I was wondering, as a Christian, how this program rated. I don't accept things that has wizards and such in it. I didn't see any of that on the demo lessons. And what about the books. What type books does it have in it. This is my main concern about the program. It sounds great and I like what I saw on the demo. I would only be interested in it for Kindergarten - 2nd grade.
    Thank you!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

This program is aligned to state standards, so it has evolutionary content. There isn't much of that at the grade level you are interested in. Families who do not want science added to their student's account need only request it.

There are fanciful characters throughout the program. I have run into an occasional ghost and witch, as well as a couple of references to trick-or-treating.

Here are more threads that might interest you. They address the same type of concerns:

https://www.time4learning.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247

https://www.time4learning.net/forum/view ... =christian

https://www.time4learning.net/forum/view ... =christian

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

evey is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default secular

I believe I saw a wizard game in the playground. So, since I use this as a self running program, I don't use the bonus playground. This works for us because my son doesn't want to do the "harder" studies if there is more fun games to be played. But, of course you could just moniter his playground use. I share your same concerns and appreciate your frank questions.
    Evey

NewLifeAcademy is offline Member Regular

We are Christians and have not seen anything questionable. Yes, there is a evolutionary content in the science in the second grade level but we don't use T4L for our science curriculum.

I like the books both fiction and nonfiction in the LA sections. I have not seen a witch, wizard, or even a magician. There is an army commander, football coach and many other encouraging wholesome characters.

Syele is offline Member

My Daughter is in the 2nd grade area and I also haven't seen the Witch, wizard or the like yet. We don't use the playground much because if we do, schoolwork never gets done.

I went ahead and left the science in. It made for some great conversations between my daughter and I about Adam and Eve being the "First people" and a couple of other topics. the first people one I wasn't paying attention and she came to me to talk about it when she heard it.

Of course, we do supplement with Bible lessons too.

Lisa333 is offline Member Regular

There's an essay on the Time4Learning website raising the question of whether Christian homeschoolersshould use a secular curriculum.

Mommydynee is offline Junior Member Newbie

Lisa, thank you for directing us to the response from Kerry in NC. If she isn't a professional writer she should be. I could relate to everything she said because we don't fit a mold either and we are Christians using T4L. We love the program at this point, and have found nothing offensive. I'm a firm believer that my children need to know what the 'world' is about in order to know how we are to be different. As a parent, it is my job to teach my children our moral values and not a school or program. I would feel the same regardless of the style or method of education.

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

What a WONDERFUL article! As a Christian and a mom of children both with and without special needs this warmed my heart! I LOVE Time4Learning too!
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

crespowu is offline Junior Member Newbie

Time4Learning always offers us great articles.

ergon4 is offline Member Regular

Default Another Article

Thought I'd chime in here, since the conversation kind of got around to one of my articles. I wrote another articleabout Christians homeschooling with secular curriculum, so feel free to check it out too. This is a question of concern with a lot of people, so I don't think too much can be written or said about it.

As a Christian I have felt total confidence with the T4L curriculum and have never come across anything I would personally deem "objectionable" to my faith. I think it is a totally individual/family decision, though, and I hope you will give the program a try and decide for yourself. Welcome to the T4L community...

Blessings,
    Kerry
    Raising homegrown geeks...one laptop at a time. Check out my Topsy-Techie blog at http://topsytechie.wordpress.com/