The Easter bunny
    Rachel is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default The Easter bunny

Dear Parents,

my new neighbour told me that her kids are celebrating Easter without the Easter bunny. In her eyes it is a pagan symbol undermining the word of god. I totally disagree with her. My kids love Easter and they love to eat chocolate bunnies and cake lambs. I do not think it is undermining our christian values in any way. We also have a christmas tree in our home during the holidays and I do not think it makes us any less "good" christian.

I would like to know how other parents think about that.

Rachel

littletfarms is offline Member

Remember you asked

We don't do bunnies and eggs, either. While it may not have the same meaning today, they are clearly from pagan origins. You can do any quick google search to find that information. Here's a blurp from the discovery channel:

According to University of Florida's Center for Children's Literature and Culture, the origin of the celebration -- and the Easter bunny -- can be traced back to 13th century, pre-Christian Germany, when people worshiped several gods and goddesses. The Teutonic deity Eostra was the goddess of spring and fertility, and feasts were held in her honor on the Vernal Equinox. Her symbol was the rabbit because of the animal’s high reproduction rate.
    Spring also symbolized new life and rebirth; eggs were an ancient symbol of fertility. According to History.com, Easter eggs represent Jesus' resurrection. However, this association came much later when Roman Catholicism became the dominant religion in Germany in the 15th century and merged with already ingrained pagan beliefs.

URL: What Does the Easter Bunny Have To Do With Easter? : Discovery News

That said, I believe it is an individual choice. It clearly doesn't mean the same thing today. But, I am not comfortable with the pagan origins. So, we don't do bunnies and eggs. But, I won't throw stones or even rotten Easter eggs at someone who does
    Denise in MS
    Homeschooling 4 blessings for 14 years.
    DD93, DS95, DS98, DD00

unovoce is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Rachel,
    I understand your question and sense that you're trying to keep the emphasis on Christ during the holidays. That really can be difficult sometimes when the culture does otherwise. Still as Christians, there are many creative ways to make the season meaningful to our children and share the hope that we have with others. In my time with Focus on the Family, I came across an article series that has some good ideas - maybe there are some that you'd like to try with your family. Blessing to you!

jess_m_80 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    Dear Parents,

my new neighbour told me that her kids are celebrating Easter without the Easter bunny. In her eyes it is a pagan symbol undermining the word of god. I totally disagree with her. My kids love Easter and they love to eat chocolate bunnies and cake lambs. I do not think it is undermining our christian values in any way. We also have a christmas tree in our home during the holidays and I do not think it makes us any less "good" christian.

I would like to know how other parents think about that.

Rachel

Ok as a fellow Christian I totally understand why people choose to do this. However, personally I don't agree and let me tell you why. My background is in Anthropology. I did many years studying folklore, pagan rites, religions of the world, etc. There wasn't much you could find in life that doesn't derive that can't be tied to some pagan religion out there somewhere. I even found makeup to be a old ancient pagan ritual in some cultures. So what I do instead is teach my kids where Christmas and Easter Bunny derived from...yes they are aware that many customs where tied to pagan rites, originally. But let them know that what matters to God is why we do the things we do now. Out of love kindness etc. I think God is more concered with the reasons in our heart then some old ancient religion that we had nothing to do with. I am NOT celebrating the god of fertility...or the old norse god at christmas,or the sun of resurrection, we don't pray to them or bow to them anyways.

For those who choose to not that's ok but then where do you stop? Because in some cultures birthdays were tied to pagan rituals, weddings,wedding rings, make-up, shoes, even clothes.....so if your going to ban ALL things pagan..welllllll.....at what point do you draw the line? Sure you could say well I wear clothes to be decent not to celebrate a pagan god...or a wedding ring to show I'm married...and I could say I throw in a bunny in the basket cause my daugther just thinks its cute. You could say well Jews wore clothes but Jewish women did not wear pants, and you could say that is just an evolutions of women's right but then you could look at OTHER pagan cultures to see that maybe we did borrow some ideas from them in that area as well.

I do respect your thoughs very much. This is just my thoughts. I don't mind those that do or don't so long as no one condems me for wrapping my Christmas present in walmart discounted santa paper and placing it under my tree. I have met those who have.
    Last edited by jess_m_80; 10-08-2012 at 03:54 PM.