Homeschooling for Christian convictions
    Carla is offline Member Regular

Default Homeschooling for Christian convictions

Fellow Christian Homeschoolers,

Today we, my dd and I, came across our first activity that we felt objectionable. Could we get a forum going on lessons/activities that we think needed to be "red flagged"? It would be a help to other parents who are careful in what worldly values enter their home. If parents are aware ahead of time they can preview the lesson to see if it is one they care to have their child do or skip.
    My lesson of concern is:
    5th grade social studies
    chapter: Olmec
    Lesson code 3 (on lesson plans)
    LA number 5841
    On child's screen it is:
    Olmec-Art & Religion
    In this lesson they are to "Draw your own jaguar god"

If any of you reading this post also come across lessons that need to be "red flagged" please add to the forum to help others out. Thanks, Carla

MamaMary is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Carla!

Thank YOU for flagging this. (warm appreciative smile)
    Mary, Child of the King of Kings, Jesus Christ! Wife to best friend and Mama to her four boys 91, 96, 00, 02, Homeschooling since 1998! Come visit us on our blog! http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/MamaMary/

2sweetkids@ameritech.net is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi, I send a thank you out as well. We're only in 3rd, but i would love to know ahead of time about things I will want to address as well. It's much easier than having to go through each individual lesson myself. Thanks! Lsia

scrapsofstuff is offline Junior Member Newbie

I just want to post a response to this.
    I think it is good that you are alerting others to some possibly objectionable (to christian's) material.
    But, the reason we chose this program is because it is NOT faith based. This is the best program on-line out there that is not saturated with the Christian beliefs.
    I just wanted to put in my kudos to the people that run this program for allowing those of us that were looking from something non-faith based a chance to find a very good program.

2sweetkids@ameritech.net is offline Junior Member Newbie

I think it's great that anyone can homeschool using this as curriculum. I just think it's great to have a topic to cover the things that are objectionable to Christians - for Christians. Anyone who is not homeschooling for those reasons doesn't need to read the items covered in the topic, but it would be readily available to the people who would want to use it.

Sandranelson1968 is offline Junior Member

Carla,

Is that one lesson the only one that you "red flagged"?

Fellow Christian Homeschoolers,

Today we, my dd and I, came across our first activity that we felt objectionable. Could we get a forum going on lessons/activities that we think needed to be "red flagged"? It would be a help to other parents who are careful in what worldly values enter their home. If parents are aware ahead of time they can preview the lesson to see if it is one they care to have their child do or skip.
    My lesson of concern is:
    5th grade social studies
    chapter: Olmec
    Lesson code 3 (on lesson plans)
    LA number 5841
    On child's screen it is:
    Olmec-Art & Religion
    In this lesson they are to "Draw your own jaguar god"

If any of you reading this post also come across lessons that need to be "red flagged" please add to the forum to help others out. Thanks, Carla

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

This is an old thread, which I've moved to this new forum.

Now that there's a good place for this, I'm going to start separate threads for users to post "alerts" about lessons containing the following topics: evolution theory, gods/godesses/idols, body function humor, Halloween/secular holiday themes, dinosaurs/mythical creatures/fantasy (i.e.aliens), and "old earth" claims. Not everyone will object to the same type of material, so hopefully that will help people sort through what they want to skip or discuss with their own kids.

I'll copy Carla's alert to the gods/godesses/idols alert.
    Feel free to help other parents out by adding alerts to any category, even if you don't mind your own children's exposure to that type of material.

Are there other topics of concern?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!