Inappropriate Language in lessons

Thumbs down Inappropriate Language in lessons

Hello!
    So my son started using T4L a few weeks ago and all was going well, I was impressed and enjoying how much he enjoyed learning, until the other day.

He told me, (then I verified) in the middle of one of his lessons that one of the characters said "oh my God"- now that may not be a big deal to most, but being a Christian family we teach our children that it's disrespectful and taking the Lords name in vain. So I was shocked that a school program- and one of it's cartoon characters no less, would use language so unprofessional.
    (it was one of the 3rd grade language arts)

I would feel the same aversion if the programs started using words like "shut-up" "sucks" "pissed" and so on....yes sometimes kids and adults use those words, but in our house we try to correct it as rude or inappropriate language. But for a school program to use..... It's just unprofessional.

Not that my house is perfect by any means, but I just feel like if I'm paying for my child to learn from a program I want it to be professional. They hear enough of the unprofessional words and language in the world, on tv, and from friends/peers etc.

Has anyone else noticed this in the lessons?

hoffmans is offline Junior Member

--And Inappropriate Behavior on the part of the actors/teachers in the lessons--

I see you just posted this less than a month ago. I am so disappointed to see that T4L has not taken care of this yet. There is NO reason for this type of content to be in a school setting. Children of all ages should be able to look to their educators as someone to emulate. When children see and hear their education presented to them in this way, it sends them a message that this is how adults behave and that it is ok to act the same. I am not just talking about the "Oh my God" statement. T4L has other content that is inappropriate. I wish parents could come together and make a list of all such inappropriate material that they encounter so it can be presented to T4L for official changes. 2 years ago I had 2 children using T4L for 7th and 8th grades. I chose not let either one of them use T4L after they completed that year. I pulled them out of T4L because of the unprofessional behavior of the adults in the videos. In those grades, there are videos of actual adults teaching the lesson. The adults act like juveniles, using body gestures and trying to "rap" what they were saying also trying to act like they are a different ethnicity. It is ridiculous. Their behavior is borderline obnoxious and beyond silly. No one would allow a teacher to act that way in a brick and mortar school. My teenagers lost all respect for it as homeschool. What good does it do if the students don't take their education seriously b/c the adults don't behave in a way that ANYONE can respect them?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Time4Learning uses curriculum developed for use in public schools. It is used in many, many public schools around the nation. The developer will only market to schools, so Time4Learning has purchased a license allowing them to market to individuals and families. Since Time4Learning does not own the curriculum, they can't change it. Time4Learning can add things for families to use, though . . . such as this forum and these threads to help parents decide what lessons they might want to avoid. Thank you for your input, as other parents will appreciate it.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

hoffmans is offline Junior Member

Kelly,
    Thank you so much for that kind and informative response! It is a relief to know that T4L is not the developer. T4L is almost the perfect solution many homeschool families are looking for. So, in that regard, I am extremely thankful that it was made available to us all. But like all things in life, nothing is perfect. And that is ok.
    So, that being said, do you know how the "people's voices" can be heard by the developers? I am sure there are others besides homeschoolers, such as public school teachers, aids, counselors, principles, etc that might dislike some of the content as well.

Blog Entries

You might be interested in this information about the relationship between Time4Learning and the curriculum developer.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

katmcc is offline Junior Member

I just wanted to let everyone know that we found something similar to this in one of the High School lessons. It was in English II chapter: Narrator and Voice, lesson: Beware of the Dog, activity: Beware of the Dog Part 1. The third paragraph of the first reading passage the words For God's sake. Also son of a bitch is in the sixth paragraph of the same passage.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of parents who may not want their kids reading this.

Just wanted to add that this is not content created by the developer. "Beware of the Dog" by Roald Dahl is a piece of classic literature originally published in 1946, a classic short story. It's about a downed WWII British pilot who makes a disturbing discovery while recuperating in the hospital. My oldest son, who attended public school, remembers reading this piece in high school. He says he doesn't remember much of what he read in school, but he remembers this piece because of the vivid descriptions and the suspenseful ending.

One of the great benefits of homeschooling and T4L is the freedom to choose what to add or cut out of our curriculum.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

Karen Reck is offline Junior Member

Default Re: Inappropriate Language in lessons

That's really sad to hear. Kindly please remove those contents.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Inappropriate Language in lessons

Hi, Karen. Thank you for your post. You might want to read this entire thread for information about why that content can't be removed by Time4Learning.