Just curious about other science programs

View Poll Results: Do you teach creation or evolution?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Creation

4 25.00%
  • Evolution

5 31.25%
  • Both

7 43.75%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

Default Just curious about other science programs

I was just browsing the internet for additional science resources for Tori. (I love science) I came across LifePac because I found something about labs and other hands on activities.

Anyway, here is the question, when a curriculum is creation-based, do they leave out the age of the earth (according to scientists) and other non bibilical facts, like dinosaurs, neanderthal, etc.? I'm a Christian, but science is exciting to me.

Is time4Learning creation or evolution based - or neither?

Thanks.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Since Time4Learning is aligned with national standards, it teaches the theory of evolution.

Some creation-based programs specifically set out to refute some of the popular scientific theories. Others just teach creation and ignore the fact that there are other theories out there.

I'm quite familiar with A/O Lifepacs. They tend to just teach creation at the lower grades and compare creation and evolution briefly at higher grade levels.

When teaching my own kids, I am very clear about our own family's beliefs. I do expose them to all of the theories, so they know why we believe as we do, and so they can speak intelligently on those subjects with others. I do want to raise kids who ask questions, instead of blindly believing whatever they are told (whether that's something I've taught them or something they've learned elsewhere.)

I love science, also.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

its that same blind belief that made my husband and i decide not to use abeka. while they have a really cohesive curriculum - i just felt that it was very overwhelming with christianity. i didn't think it would be fair to them, or even give them a fighting chance in the "real" world if they didn't understand all points of view.
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

It sounds as though we think alike on this subject.Thanks for responding.

Btw, I'm glad T4L is not creation based. I would rather explain my theories to my kids myself, and stick with accepted scientific knowledge for the school curriculum.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

witchly is offline Senior Member Guru

We do not teach our son that we believe the Creation story - but we have told him that there are many who do believe in it. Just like many other xian things - we try to give him a little insight even though it's not for us. Since he lives in a country were there are so many xtians I think it's important for him to have a little knowledge about it.
    Robyn
    Secular homeschooler of 1 son (14)
    http://feeds.feedburner.com/RobynsOnlineWorld.1.gif

LisaIN is offline Junior Member Newbie

We use Sonlight's science curriculum and, although they are a Christian company, their science curriculum teaches both creationism and evolution. I want my kiddos to know why they believe what they believe and be able to argue that belief when asked. I do not believe in blind facts, whether they are from a creation view-point or that of evolution.

Lisa
    Mom to 7 and wife to dh of 20 years. We have been hsing 12 years and there are no plans of stopping.

"Even when you are falling down, you are moving forward."

Yca
    Yca is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

its all about tolerance and understanding and *that's* what we need to be teaching overall. if they taught THAT in the public schools, all of us would be CEO's or something and not homeschooling
    ~ Yca ~
    (otherwise known as Jess )

Wife to Dave and Mom to Red - 13, The Princess - 11, Fluffyheaded Diva - 6, and Sir Smiley - 3
    Read about our adventures HERE!

waffles is offline Junior Member Newbie

Tolerance is the last viture of a dying society..........Aristotle (339 BC)

Quote Originally Posted by waffles
    Tolerance is the last viture of a dying society..........Aristotle (339 BC)
    Why did you quote this? I saw Yca's response about being tolerant of others' beliefs.....

Are you teaching creation? I don't want a religious debate, but I wonder, for those who teach creation, what do you say about the dinosaurs, and neanderthal, etc.? That's really why this post was started anyway. I was curious about creation-based curriculum products.

For the record, I sort of teach both (evolution and my understanding of the biblical creation). I also believe its good to give kids all sides of the debates and let them make an educated decision about what they choose to accept as truth.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Stephanie, if you're interested in what many creationists believe about dinosaurs and so forth, you might like Answers in Genesis. I use that site a lot.

I'm very, very comfortable and firm in the things I believe. I do think it's important to understand where other people are coming from, so I share your interest in the subject. I wouldn't consider myself or my kids well-educated if we didn't understand others' beliefs. I also wouldn't be so firm in my own belief system if I hadn't carefully researched all the options. I hope, when their beliefs are questioned, that my kids will have better answers than, "Cuz that's what my mom always told me . . . "

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast