Lesson Activities Mentioning Old Earth/Carbon Dating Data
    hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Lesson Activities Mentioning Old Earth/Carbon Dating Data

If you find a Lesson Activity including terminology such as "millions of years ago" or dealing with carbon dating, please post the Lesson Activity Number and any additional descriptive comments here, to help other parents decide if they might want to skip or discuss that activity with their children.

As with all of these "alert" threads, you do not necessarily have to object to the material yourself to post an alert. It's understood that everyone will have a different comfort level regarding various topics. The goal is to give parents the information they need to make decisions for their own families.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Third Grade Science, Chapter Nine, is called Eras on Earth. LA Numbers are Trip to the Triassic - 34029,
    Chillin' in the Cretaceous - 34030, and
    Journey to the Jurassic - 34031.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

DustBunniesAndBooks is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 3rd Grade Science: millions of years

One whole lesson contains evolution content.

3rd Grade Science > Eras on Earth > Mesozoic Era > Trip to Truassic #34029

We believe in a literal, 7-day Creation, not millions of years.

Moderator, please move topic under the appropriate sticky. I hit post topic, instead of reply. Sorry for the extra work.

Jamie Gaddy is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: Lesson Activities Mentioning Old Earth/Carbon Dating Data

Hi I really appreciate this - is this all of the lessons with evolution content? I stopped using this subject after we encountered this topic, but if this is the only few lessons with evolutionary content we will pick it up again... Thanks for posting this info....
    Jamie
    Homeschooling mom to 6 dear blessings!
    http://onlineeducationforkids.com

I'm so sorry, I got confused with this thread, why would carbon dating be a problem for a christian?
    Jennifer

Syele is offline Member

Here is one perspective on it:

Creation Worldview Ministries: Carbon-14

Jaelyn Rae is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Jennsbeaches View Post
    I'm so sorry, I got confused with this thread, why would carbon dating be a problem for a christian?
    For those who might want a quick answer rather than following a link (though the above is very informative): Carbon dating refers to dating fossils and other objects as being "millions" of years old through the use of calculating estimated carbon decay in that object to give an estimate of how old it is. Since Christians believe the populated earth is only several thousand years old, the idea of carbon dating would be contradictory.

Personally I have never understood the theory of carbon dating. The only way to accurately compare a sample for dating is to compare it to a like sample from the same period (which is impossible since the current generation was not around in the beginning) and even then the current sample would be subject to environmental conditions during its lifetime which could dramatically alter its composition.

maryc927 is offline Member

Because we believe what our bible teaches is true, when it says in either one of our kids' lessons anything about the earth being 'millions' of years old, we always just take that word out and put the word thousands in. So, the lessons in third grade that you spoke about up above (because we believe solely in creation by our Creator and not in evolution), did you follow through on those? I'm asking because this coming year my daughter will be doing third grade science and I would like to know what would be best and what other people have done.

Brook Simmons is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by maryc927 View Post
    did you follow through on those? I'm asking because this coming year my daughter will be doing third grade science and I would like to know what would be best and what other people have done.
    When I explain the 7 day creation to my daughter. I tell her it was wrote in days of Heavenly fathers time because the earth and and human time did not exist. It was referenced in that way for human understanding and curiosity They continued to reference Heavenly fathers for creations so not to confuse us and to let us know that was Heavenly Fathers view of time where he was and where he made the creations. It goes back to earth time when discussing Adam and Eve and human views and perceptions from that time forward when talking about stuff here on Earth.
    This is my belief and understanding on the subject and what I teach my daughter.
    I am not by no means arguing or denying anyone else view or opinion on the matter just sharing for anyone who might like to know.