In need of some curriculum suggestions
    Delkroemer is offline Junior Member

Default In need of some curriculum suggestions

Hello all!

I am pretty new to homeschooling, and at the moment we are using T4L as our core curriculum. But I am looking into age appropriate science and history books. I have a child who is doing the pre-k right now.

Two books I found were "Our Father's World" and "The World God Made", has anyone used these book?

Also, I am wondering how to go about the school year. We started T4L very late into the traditional school year. Do homeschoolers typically follow the same school year calendar as public schools? My daughter would be in kindergarten already if she went to traditional school, though she could not enroll because she turned 5 late anyhow. But she is soaring through the pre-k lessons and I am wondering if I need to wait till September to begin the Kindergarten curriculum with her...

Thanks for any advice!

Love and Light,

Del

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Del!

Homeschoolers all follow different schedules. Some school year round, some follow a traditional schedule (although the time spent each day is much shorter when homeschooling), some school one-month-on-one-month-off.

Although most students enjoy the Time4Learning curriculum, and many could "blast" through the lessons at an amazing rate, I've found that it's best to ration them a bit. There are a couple of reasons for this. One is because people retain information better when a little bit at a time is presented over a longer period of time. Imagine trying to memorize a poem. You could spend hours on Monday, practicing it over and over, and you would have forgotten it by Friday. If you spent the entire week, practicing it for a few minutes at a time, you would be more likely to still remember it at a later date.

The other reason is to maintain enthusiasm! You don't want your child to "burn out" on lessons she previously enjoyed.

That said, you do not need to wait until any certain time to begin the kindergarten program, if you feel your daughter has already mastered the material in Pre-K. Another option is to do both levels at the same time. If you do not currently have access to the kindergarten level, you may request it by emailing [email protected] . Be sure they understand you want it ADDED to her program . . . not to replace the Pre-K.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Delkroemer is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the reply and help!

Love and Light,

Del