Profanity in 3rd grade LA show
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Profanity in 3rd grade LA show

DustBunniesAndBooks is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Profanity in 3rd grade LA show

3rd Grade Language Arts > Vocab Skills > Idioms > Idioms: Interactive Guided Instruction

At the first question, which child selects "What does idiom mean?" for an answer, they are taken to the Old Time Word Show. During the conversation, Vern says "O. M. G..! A cat ripping out my tongue!"

I consider OMG profanity and definitely think that the show could have been worded without it.

I hope there's not a lot of this kind of thing.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Profanity in 3rd grade LA show

Our family doesn't use those initials either. It's interesting . . . some people who would never dream of using "potty" language don't think anything about taking the Lord's name in vain.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

CheerfulMom4 is offline Junior Member

I remember noticing that as well. I was shocked by it.

DustBunniesAndBooks is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy
    Our family doesn't use those initials either. It's interesting . . . some people who would never dream of using "potty" language don't think anything about taking the Lord's name in vain.
    Just to clarify, it wasn't the initials used.......it was the actual words Oh my G-d! I just used the initials in my writing. I listened to it a couple times to make sure it didn't say gosh or other substitute, but it was the real thing.

Jamie Gaddy is offline Junior Member Newbie

I agree - but thankfully I haven't noticed it any other times... yet
    Jamie
    Homeschooling mom to 6 dear blessings!
    http://onlineeducationforkids.com

mommymo429 is offline Junior Member Newbie

We have heard this in the 6th grade language arts as well more than once I'm afraid to say. I'm so disappointed by it and am evaluating other curriculum for next year even though I love almost everything else about this. I was very proud of my son for being discerning and catching it and he was very upset by it. It did give me a great teachable moment and we had a great discussion about why we don't say that and how awful it really is! If we continue to hear it, we will discontinue our service though- which would be sad because overall, this is such a great program and they are learning so much! I would love if there was a Christian version!!

nik999 is offline Junior Member

My son just did that lesson too, and I was also shocked and angered by it. I'm finding the whole 3rd grade LA lessons pretty obnoxious. I think I might have to cancel. I don't want to send my son mixed messages. He knows full well what's acceptable and not acceptable in our home, and these lessons are really pushing it. I agree with mommymo429; it can be a good teachable moment, but I too won't continue the service if we encounter anymore of it.

Daph is offline Member

I'm actually beginning to feel the same way, and I'm very sad about it. I'm not sure why 3rd grade's stuff was changed so drastically from 2nd grade. It's sort of exposing the kids to the very things I didn't want them to hear. I don't think potty humor, bodily function humor and taking the Lord's name in vain is appropriate for eight year olds (or for anyone for that matter). I'm all for teachable moments, but it's starting to take away from the very teachable Language Arts moments. This is our main LA curriculum, though, and my daughter loves it. I don't know what to do!

Chandra Rose is offline Junior Member Newbie

That is too bad they definitely could have reworded it... bodily function humor I think should be fine if it is tasteful. It is natural and God's design. God has a sense of humor look at parts of creation...

maryc927 is offline Member

Default Profanity in 3rd grade LA show/bodily humor

Although the bodily humor stuff, if it gets really bad can irritate me, what really bothers me is when the Lord's name is taken in vain. We teach in our home that for no reason should that be done. I wonder if there is a way to get those references taken out? My daughter will be doing the 3rd grade LA lessons starting in the fall of 2011. I agree that this can be a good teaching lesson for all of us here in our home and how we don't need to say those things but why do they need to be said to begin with?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast