Very aggravated !
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    cassiedavis@opbincome.com is offline Member Newbie

Default Very aggravated !

Well as a lot of you know I had to pull my son out of PS about two months ago , but my daughter still goes there because I wasn't having problems with her in there system and I wanted to get a handle on this with my son before taking on my other two kids. Well now it seems like there picking on her. She was made to change her color because another student over heard her pray over her lunch ! But when the child was asked what she said he could say but he knew she was praying and said that they don't do that in his house. My daughter was so upset when she came home. We have prayed over our meals and go to church since before she was born and this is what she knows. Now someone is telling her there are places and times when you CANT pray . The teacher's statement was " well maybe she could skip the meals at school, and it may be offensive to students that don't believe that way" I said " well its offensive to me that your telling my child that its not allowed"

Grrrrrrr --- Can they get away with this ? Who would I call and complain to ?

aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

IMHO, she can do it wherever she wants!! And we aren't a religious house, and I know schools(PS) can't condone prayer but if a single student is quietly praying over her OWN meal then I do not see where she is breaking any rule. And for the teacher to ask you that maybe she can skip lunch prayer is BS. One more thing to chalk up to PS as far as I am concerned!
    I would take it up with principal and/or school board but be prepared for a fight.
    Keep us posted on this! This is a new one on me! WOW!
    HUGS to you and your daughter for dealing with that!!! Stupid ignorant people in the PS school system!!! GRRRRR

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure what you mean when you say she was "made to change her color".

Although they can't make religious beliefs part of the curriculum, I don't think public schools can prohibit a student from practicing her religion on her own. Hopefully the teacher's comment was a suggestion rather than an order.

Our family gives thanks before meals, but we do it very discreetly, which is compatible with our interpretation of Matthew 6:5-7.

As far as who do you complain to . . . I'd start with the teacher herself. Gently. (Matthew 18:15)

Helping our kids decide how to deal with these kinds of things is one of the tougher parts of parenting, isn't it?

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

The school starts each child off on the color green (for behavior) each day. If they stay on green they get to go to recess. If they get into trouble or they are told to do something more than once they change there color to yellow and lose part of there recess time . If they get into trouble again they change there color to red and lose all of there recess time. The next color is blue and they get wrote up and sent home.

Over the last few weeks my daughter has went from ALL greens to lots of yellows and a few reds. Most of the time the note by her color will say something like talking to another student during class, not sitting still, but when i say praying I was shocked !I called the school the next morning to get the whole story because my daughter came in all upset going mommy I didn't do anything wrong. ( WHAT IS THIS COUNTRY COMING TO?)

I have tried to talk to the teacher but she has been very short with me . ( not just on this but anything I try to talk to her about)

I have called the school board though and I am waiting to hear back from them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    The school starts each child off on the color green (for behavior) each day. If they stay on green they get to go to recess. If they get into trouble or they are told to do something more than once they change there color to yellow and lose part of there recess time . If they get into trouble again they change there color to red and lose all of there recess time. The next color is blue and they get wrote up and sent home.

Most of the time the note by her color will say something like talking to another student during class, not sitting still, but when i say praying I was shocked !
    That is an interesting disciplinary technique. So she was actually punished/penalized for this. Wow.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

yep, and then I was expected to talk to her about skipping her prayers during school .

and I just talked to the school board and here is what they said.

" as long as the student does not draw attention to her / him self while praying, does not pray out loud where it can be heard, or encourage others to join in the prayer then that is fine. but because another student recognized her doing this she called attention to her self and there fore distracted the other child and this is against the rules and that I needed to read over my parent handbook that clearly goes over all the different rules."

I said I am sorry that you view prayer this way and I hung up the phone.

Stephanie739 is offline Senior Member

That's really terrible about the praying - so wrong!

The changing color thing is one reason why I took Meghan out of PS recently instead of waiting. I was in your situation. I had one homeschooling and the others in PS, but Meg was also having trouble with this color change issue - talking, etc. Although it was a grading situation issue that was more of less the deciding factor to start her with home school, the color thing was a part too. When people comment on socialization now, I can just say, yep, thats was got her in trouble! School really isn't for socializing......

Good luck. If I were you, I would write a letter to the teacher. Its easier to get your point across without emotions getting in the way. You might want to take this up to a higher authority if the teacher doesn't change her view because she is out of line, in my opinion.
    ~Stephanie

mom to:
    Tori (13)
    Meghan (9)
    Andy (5)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie739
    School really isn't for socializing......
    LOL! So true.

I would be interested in reading the portion of the handbook that deals with this. I haven't had to deal with public schools for many years, but I try to keep informed about this type of thing.

The hand book only goes over causing a distraction and trying to bring others into your religious beliefs . Like being a class clown or something to that affect or telling other students to pray with you.They are trying to turn things around to there twisted views.

Blog Entries

Hmm, a lot of innocent behavior could "cause a distraction". I can see objecting if the INTENT was to cause a distraction, like, "Hey! Look at me everyone! I'm praying!" It doesn't sound like that was your daughter's intent.

It sounds like it's time for her to sign up with Time4Learning.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast