When Bad things Happen to God's People
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kess
  • 2 Post By episkopos

Thread: When Bad things Happen to God's People

five_blessed is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Question When Bad things Happen to God's People

To my knowledge, there have been five natural and devastating disasters in the US, to date, in the first five months of 2011. Do your children ever ask why bad things happen to God's people? What answers do you give? Do the answers given satisfy their curiosity?

To those personally affected by all the disasters, I offer my prayers daily!

Blessings,
    Rhonda

It's Time4Learning. And Fun!

"Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

Kess is offline Member

I know this thread is from a few weeks ago, I only just saw it and thought I’d respond.
    I first want to say how truly sorry I feel for all those affected, and my prayers go out to them as well. This question has come up in our house, not just about natural disasters, but about evil and suffering going on all over the world. I answer straight from the Bible. I first explain that God is not to blame for these disasters or for any of the bad things that happen. Job 34:10 says: “Far be it from the true God to act wickedly, and the Almighty to act unjustly!” And James 1:13 states: “When under trial, let no one say: ‘I am being tried by God.’ For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone.” So, if anyone has suffered evil, including natural disasters – God is not the cause.
    Then the next question would be, if God is not the cause, why is there so much evil and suffering in the world? 1 John 5: 19 states: “The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.” When you think about it, doesn’t that make sense? The “wicked one” -the Devil - is cruel, deceptive, and hateful – traits that underlie much of the suffering that people experience.
    But, what is truly comforting is that the Bible also tells us that God promises to eventually do away with the Devil and all suffering forever. Revelation 21: 3 & 4 states: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”
    These scriptures have really helped our family. I hope you find them helpful with your family also.
    cleaverlady64 likes this.

Blog Entries

I think your response is a great one, Kess! Answering from the God's word is the best and only way to approach such questions.

The evil one is fast at work in the world! And I think that we, as humans, cause some of our demise by things that we do and don't do in the environment, (ie.pollution, global warming, etc). We had to have things "our way", which included sin in the very beginning, and God loved us so much that He let us have free will. Oh, how much we must hurt our Heavenly Father!

God loves us and His plans are to continue loving us! Plans to prosper; not to harm!

You did a great job in discussing this subject with your kiddos!

God bless!
    Blessings,
    Rhonda

"Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

Blog Entries

Hi Saradalton! Praying and relying totally on God, along with knowing that God is ever present during any storms in our lives, is a great start. Also, as Kess stated, answering children's questions from God's word is truly the best way to teach them! God bless! Have a good week!
    Blessings,
    Rhonda

Momma24 is offline Junior Member Newbie

I, too, agree with the post about pointing them to God's Word- for it is the ONLY constant in an ever-changing world! I use tragedies to remind my children of the curse on the WHOLE creation as a direct result of sin. BUT, we can never leave them hopeless...so we also remind them that the Lord has promised that He WILL return and He WILL abolish sin & death!!
    It's also helped to 'look back' at things that were 'tragedies' at the time, but how God worked them for good! World War II was directly responsible for paving the way for the Jews to return to Israel...which is a part of God's eternal plan as outlined in His Word...which in turn reminds us that HE IS STILL IN CHARGE! There are other examples in God's Word- Joseph & how he saved his family, Ruth & the protection of the Jews, etc.... It's a tough world, and MANY times discouraging....but we must CONSTANTLY be reminded that HE IS STILL ON THE THRONE, or we risk hopelessness.
    Homeschooling four
    with help from Mom SCHOOL
    and staying healthy with Mom FITNESS!

nicdev is offline Junior Member

Thanks for this. Your reply is still blessing people.

nicdev is offline Junior Member

Amen and hallelujah!!!!

Joybelle is offline Junior Member Newbie

Great discussion. Did so enjoy, and nice to know that y'all are out there. God bless!
    Joybelle
    Veteran homeschool mom
    3 grown kiddos & one more to go...
    "The JOY of the Lord is my strength!"

episkopos is offline Junior Member Newbie

It's a blessing to have people who think about you in your time of trouble and disaster. We find in Ephesians 6: 12 that not all things are as carnal as we may see but we fight daily with unseen powers in the dark. So although God loves us, He allows the enemy to afflict us so that His power will be revealed and we will become stronger.
    lovehmschlg and stayhomemom like this.