Assistance in the Colorado Springs Area, Please.
    Newbie Guest

Unhappy Assistance in the Colorado Springs Area, Please.

I want to pull my child out of school immediately! Any help in beginning Homeschool as soon as possible (legally) would be greatly appreciated. I have tried working with the school several times with very minimal results, and their passive-aggressive responses. It is going no where and in the meantime, my child is the one suffering.
    At this point, I feel like a terrible parent whose thrown her child into the Lion's Den for the past three years in public school. I thought as a public school their resources would be better in helping my child with learning disabilities. She is not the same happy child anymore, and the person the school describes is not the child I know and love at home. Every time she is bullied at school "there's nothing we can do about it".
    She now has panic attacks when it is time to go to school, and is more and more withdrawn when she comes home from school. Yet, I am told that I can not just pull my child out of school or risk legal consequences. She already wants to die, because no one seems to listen to her at the school where she is called Stupid. So am I supposed to keep sending her to school and hope she doesn't want to kill herself today, tomorrow, or the next day?
    Please, please, help. Thank you.

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

I'm so sorry for what your daughter is experiencing in school. It is legal to homeschool in every state, so there is no reason why you cannot pull your daughter out of school and homeschool her, if that is what you think is best for your daughter and it's what you'd like to do. I would just advise you to research the homeschool laws for Colorado.
    It's likely you need to file a Notice of Intent with your local school board. That would be the first legal step you would need to take. Before you do anything, I would suggest you contact a local homeschool support group for guidance. I'll also give you the website for the Homeschool Legal Defense Association (HSLDA). You should be able to find their phone number on their site and call them for assistance. They should be able to fill you in on the homeschooling laws for Colorado, also.

This is a legal analysis of the homeschool laws for Colorado. This is from the HSLDA site.

I've taken this from the link I've given you at the Homeschool Legal Defense Association on the homeschool law in Colorado:
    “It is the primary right and obligation of the parent to choose the proper education and training for
    children under his care and supervision. It is recognized that home-based education is a legitimate alternative to
    classroom attendance for the instruction of children...."

As for help in beginning homeschooling, one of the great features of Time4Learning is that we, the parents/teachers, do not need to do lesson planning because it's all done for us. Another great feature are the progress reports, which are also printable for easy record-keeping. Let me give you a link to an article on Beginning the Homeschool Journey. This should help put your mind at ease. Also, this Welcome to Homeschooling Guide was put together by several veteran homeschooling moms who are members here at Time4Learning.

This is a perfect time to start homeschooling. You'll have all summer to ease into it and get comfortable with each other, getting to know your daughter's best learning style and getting used to the change.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any other questions. Praying all turns out well for you!
    Last edited by lovehmschlg; 04-15-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass