Can we withdraw our kids mid-year to homeschool?
    Unregistered Guest

Default Can we withdraw our kids mid-year to homeschool?

Can we pull our kids out of public school mid-year to homeschool here in Colorado? I know I need to file a letter of intent 14 days before start of home school program, and withdraw from current public school...

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: Can we withdraw our kids mid-year to homeschool?

I have the same question in MA

Robin is offline Senior Member

I think most state's allow you to start at any time. I'm not in Colorado, so don't know about the state specifically. I would check state law.

Mooskyroo is offline Junior Member Newbie

I realize this is an old post, but just in case anyone else has the same question, I’m going to respond. Yes, you can withdraw your child from public school at any point during the school year. You just need to make sure that you send a Notice of Intent (NOI) to homeschool to the school district at least 14 days prior to starting. Otherwise, there could be a gap in their schooling which could lead to truancy issues. I highly recommend sending the letter via certified mail so that you have proof in case there are any issues. I live in Douglas County and there’s a homeschooling liaison that works with the school district that I was able to send our NOI to directly, which seemed to streamline the whole process. She also sent me a confirmation letter that I can keep with our records.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Time4Learning actually hosted a webinar awhile back about beginning homeschool mid-year. It's available in recorded form on YouTube:

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!