Colorado Introductions
    Beth is offline Member

Default Colorado Introductions

Hey there!

I'm in Grand Junction; glad to see another Coloradan here on T4L! I'm really, really enjoying T4L for my 7 y/o son with Asperger's Syndrome. It has been a God-send for sure. Well, see you around!

Beth

Default Re: Welcome to my Colorada Homeschool Online Support Group

Hi! I live in Erie and have been using T4L for my 9 year old daughter for a month or two. She is really loving it and we actually ended up bagging all the curriculum we started the year out with! What began as a tentative two week trial for something I thought might be a supplement has become the core of our homeschooling days. We plan to use it through the summer and then I will evaluate things again to see if we need to change or add anything to T4L.

Mel

cindy4hope is offline Senior Member

Hi Mel,

I have been using time4learning for about 4 months now, not sure if this is enough or if I should supplement with a curriculum next fall. My daughter just turned 8 and will be in the third grade come next fall. I'm just wondering when you get through all the programs for your level if you should just move on to the next level or use another curriculum to finish up.

This is my first year and though she is only in 2nd grade right now and what we have worked on mostly is reading and math skills, I still worry that she won't get all she needs by just doing time4learning. I do love the program, it helps not to make things so boring by just going by worksheets and textbooks. I'm just a concerned Mom like all Moms and want to do the best for my daughter .

Many Blessings,

Cindy

Beth is offline Member

Hi Cindy!

Not sure if you were posting a question that you wanted feedback on or was just making a statement. But assuming it was a question, here are my thoughts: My son is using the 1st grade T4L and I find that its content is enough when I compare it to what he was doing in public school. Mostly, in public school, he was working on reading and math. The writing experience in first grade public school wasn't that impressive. And that is one weaker area with T4L, 1st grade, but I'm not too concerned, personally. (My son is kind of special-ed, so my situation may be different from yours.) I would normally be concerned about penmanship so I'd probably get started on worksheets (sorry ) of penmanship practice. We do drawing projects, so that kind of practices penmanship, in a way. But also, besides, T4L, we just keep a learning atmosphere at the house; go to the library weekly; take real interest in what the kids are learning; watch educational videos; read to the kids at bedtime; do extra-curricular stuff like karate, Sunday school, girl scouts, stuff like that. And when the kids were in public school, to do all that and keep up with the school's homework was exhausting. But now, it's pleasant. So, yeah, I know that it might seem like T4L doesn't take all day like school did and so the kids can't be learning enough. But I think when we compare the content of what is truly learned at school (with distractions and bullies and sick days, etc) to what is truly learned on T4L, I'm thinking T4L wins. And then to be able to add other learning opportunities like I mentioned, wow, T4L comes out way ahead. BUT, all that said, yeah, if you feel lead to get supplemental curriculum, go for it. Your kid's just gonna wreak the grade curve, LOL ! You know what I mean. Hope my ramblings helped. God bless you guys.

Beth

cindy4hope is offline Senior Member

Hi Beth!

Nice to meet you also. I really like time4learning but just like most parents I want to make sure my daughter gets what she needs. We really worked alot on reading this year because that was her weakness, she is doing alot better, but still struggles a little with it.

I would love it if there was more lang. and math to do after you finish all the activites for your grade level and yet not have to go up a grade. She has finished all the math and lang arts for 2nd grade and has gone on to third grade, but then I think what will she do for third grade we will run out of Lang and math to do. and I don't want to move on to a higher grade level. anyway hope you understand my rambling.

Public school is out here May 26th, but we plan on working longer and not starting school until the 2nd week of Aug or middle of Aug. what do you all do as far as when you stop school for the year and then start back up in the fall?

Wishing you all a great summer to come!

Cindy