home schooling for disabled child??
    NRuminski Guest

Default home schooling for disabled child??

My son has many learning disabilities and I've always been supportive of the help we've received from our public school educators. They have always gone above and beyond - really it has been incredible. This year however, things have fallen apart and I'm am certain our son is no longer the focus of attention. His needs are being missed and it is time for us to make a move. I am a former special education para so I know I can help him at home with the right programs -- that said -- I am concerned about testing and how the system will react if/when he scores low. He currently has been unsatisfactory on his tcap testing - more because of his disability than anything else. I hope that as we teach at home we will be able to fill in some gaps -- and of course I would love to see that go up. That said, I am also realistic. He is not at grade level. How do we go about justifying to the state that being at home is better for him if we are not able to demonstrate this through testing? I've been told it can get pretty sticky in situations like ours? ANY help would be so appreciated. I want what is best for my amazing boy. He always works hard and I couldn't be more proud of him. He needs my best -- and with guidance I know he can thrive!

Thank you!
    Nancy

lovehmschlg is offline Forum Moderator

Hi, Nancy.
    I'm going to copy your post over to the Time4Learning Special Needs forum, since your question is more about homeschooling your son with special needs. But I'll also leave your original post here in case someone in Colorado has some experience or advise for you for homeschooling in Colorado.
    Janet
    enjoying homeschooling and learning with my kids, using T4L and T4W
    blogging our homeschool experiences at The Learning Hourglass

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I've had the same question. There is a post about being new and overwhelmed which I would move to the New to Homeschooling forum. But she also asks local questions. She is not getting any feedback at all. I will try that copy thing so she can get some advice on being new.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota